Garza solid as Cubs blank BrewersApr 12, 2012 - 11:33 PM
Garza (1-0) allowed just three hits and two walks while striking out nine for the Cubs, who are off to a 2-5 start this season.
"I just stayed under control and kept attacking the zone," Garza said. "When you have a five-run lead, you just have to go after them, you can't nitpick because they have some guys than can really hurt you."
Starlin Castro went 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI, Alfonso Soriano knocked in a pair of runs, while Reed Johnson, Ian Stewart and Darwin Barney all drove in a run for Chicago.
Nyjer Morgan collected two of the three hits for the Brewers, who fell to 4-3 on the young season.
Zack Greinke (1-1) was shelled for all eight runs on nine hits and one walk while striking out five in 3 2/3 innings.
Chicago opened the scoring in a big way in the third, exploding for six runs.
Steve Clevenger started the offensive barrage with a leadoff double and scored on a single to left by Johnson for the first run of the inning. After Garza fanned, David DeJesus slapped a single to center and Barney followed with an RBI single up the middle.
Castro them ripped a single up the middle to score DeJesus to make it 3-0 Cubs with runners on first and second and one out. Both runners advanced on a wild pitch by Greinke, and Soriano drove them both in with a single to right. The Cubs then plated the final run of the inning after Soriano stole second and came around to touch home on a single to left by Stewart.
"I know some of the balls were up," Greinke said. "With two strikes, I didn't make very good pitches, but besides that, there's not much I thought I could have done differently."
Chicago added two more runs in the fourth when Clevenger again led off with a double. After Johnson and Garza struck out, DeJesus poked one to shortstop that could not be handled by Alex Gonzalez, allowing Clevenger to score.
Greinke then issued a free pass to Barney, which brought manager Ron Roenicke out of the dugout and Castro greeted new Brewers pitcher Manny Parra by slapping an RBI single to center field.
Shawn Camp recorded the final out of the game in the top of the ninth to finish off the win.
Greinke is 2-2 in four career starts against the Cubs has allowed 17 earned runs ...Milwaukee finished 0-for-3 with runners in scoring position while stranding five...The Cubs brought home 7-of-12 runners in scoring position while stranding only four...Chicago will begin a three-game series in St. Louis on Friday, while the Brewers will also start a three-game set in Atlanta on Friday.
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Apr 12 5:11 PM
- Starlin Castro single to center scored David DeJesus. On the play, Darwin Barney advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 12 3:52 PM
- David DeJesus infield single to short. On the play, Steve Clevenger scored and David DeJesus advances to second on Alex Gonzalez's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Darwin Barney due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsApr 12 3:47 PM
- Ian Stewart single to left scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on first with one out and Bryan LaHair due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 6 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 12 3:25 PM
- Alfonso Soriano single to right scored Darwin Barney and Starlin Castro. Runner on first with one out and Ian Stewart due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 5 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 12 3:24 PM
- Starlin Castro advances to second and Darwin Barney advances to third on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third with one out and Alfonso Soriano at the plate.
Brewers 0, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 12 3:23 PM
- Darwin Barney single to center scored Reed Johnson. On the play, David DeJesus advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 12 3:17 PM
- Matt Garza struck out swinging. Runner on first with one out and David DeJesus due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 3, 1 OutApr 12 3:13 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 12 2:24 PM
- Dominguez's slam leads Astros to rout of Brewers 12:21a
- Cubs edge Cards 11:18p
- Old rivals square off in Houston 10:49a
- Wainwright eyes 11th win versus Cubs 10:45a
- Cardinals wait out rain, top Cubs Tue
- Old rivals square off in St. Louis Mon
- Dutch treat: Nieuwenhuis HR in 9th caps Mets rally over Cubs Sun
- Cueto returns with solid effort as Reds beat Brewers Sun
- Brewers' P Fiers out 9-12 weeks with broken forearm Sun
- Cubs aim for first road sweep of Mets in 22 years Sun
- Cueto set to return as Reds conclude series with Brewers Sun
- Schafer, Gallardo help Brewers blank Reds Sat