Giants, Mets conclude series with doubleheaderApr 23, 2012 - 3:15 PM
Rainy conditions in New York made today's double-dip necessary.
Fans in attendance today could see some history, as Mets third baseman David Wright is tied with Darryl Strawberry for the most RBI in team history.
Wright went hitless in four at-bats in Saturday's 5-4 New York win. He had a 10-game hitting streak stopped and remains at 733 career RBI, tied with Strawberry.
Sunday's scheduled starter, two-time NL Cy Young winner and four-time All- Star Tim Lincecum will try to stop Wright and get his first win of the season in the process. The right-hander lasted six innings against the Phillies and gave up eight hits and five runs in a loss on Monday. He's 3-1 with a 2.87 ERA in seven starts vs. the Mets.
Madison Bumgarner will go for the Giants in the second game. Bumgarner won his second straight start on Tuesday against Philadelphia, holding the Phillies to a pair of runs and seven hits in six innings to run his record to 2-1 on the year, while lowering his ERA to 3.63. He's faced the Mets twice
Dillon Gee, who threw seven solid innings in a win at Atlanta on Monday, was slated to oppose Lincecum on Sunday, but instead will face Bumgarner in the nightcap. The righty, who will make his first-ever start against San Francisco, is 1-1 on the year with a 2.92 ERA.
So, instead of Gee in game one the Mets will turn to right-hander Miguel Batista, who has pitched to a 5.40 ERA in six relief appearances. In five starts last season, he was 2-0 with a 2.42 ERA.
On Saturday in a ninth inning filled with mistakes, the Giants made the last one. The Mets blew a three-run lead in the top of the ninth when center fielder Kirk Nieuwenhuis failed to catch a fly ball with two outs that allowed two runs to score.
Nieuwenhuis then came up with the bases loaded and one out in the bottom of the inning and hit a ground ball to first baseman Brandon Belt, who threw home for the force out. Buster Posey tried for the double play and the catcher's relay to first went wide of the bag, allowing Ruben Tejada to slide across with the winning run.
Posey's leg was clipped by New York's Scott Hairston coming from third on the force out and may have contributed to the poor throw. Giants manager Bruce Bochy briefly argued that Hairston was out of the baseline when he slid.
"People just put the ball in play and some crazy stuff happened," surmised Giants Belt. "That's baseball."
Giants third baseman Pablo Sandoval went 1-for-4 with an RBI. He has hit safely in all 14 games this season, a streak that is two shy of the San Francisco club record to open a season that is held by Willie Mays, accomplished in 1960.
The Giants have won nine of their past 13 versus the Mets.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
NEW YORK: 1
Apr 23 7:24 PM
- Brandon Crawford doubled to left scoring Emmanuel Burriss with none out. Runner on second and Tim Lincecum due up.
Giants 6, Mets 1 Top 4, 0 OutsApr 23 5:24 PM
- Nate Schierholtz two-out, three-run Home Run (3) to right scored Pablo Sandoval and Buster Posey. Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 5, Mets 1 Top 3, 2 OutsApr 23 5:05 PM
- Mike Baxter doubled to right scoring Ruben Tejada with two out. Runner on second and Miguel Batista due up.
Giants 2, Mets 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsApr 23 4:51 PM
- Buster Posey two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Nate Schierholtz due up.
Giants 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 4:21 PM
- Pablo Sandoval singled to right scoring Melky Cabrera with one out. On the play, Pablo Sandoval was thrown out at second, right to short. None on with two outs and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 1, Mets 0 Top 1, 2 OutsApr 23 4:19 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Apr 23 4:12 PM
- Braves hand Mets' Marcum another loss 10:37p
- Blanco fuels Giants rally, win over Padres 10:17p
- Mets' Atchison back on DL 5:38p
- Rounding Third: Wheeling and dealing, Mets' future is brighter 2:18p
- Mets shoot for another win against Braves 2:11p
- Padres try to rebound, aim for series win over Giants 2:10p
- Perez lifts Giants past Padres Wed
- Wheeler wins MLB debut as Mets take two from Braves Wed
- Rockies deal OF Young to Mets Tue
- Harvey fans 13 as Mets hold off Braves Tue
- Mets activate Atchison, place Turner on DL Tue
- Wheeler debuts for Mets in doubleheader against Braves Tue