Millwood helps M's blank RockiesMay 19, 2012 - 6:41 AM
Millwood (2-4), who carried a no-hitter into the sixth, struck out seven and walked just one as the Mariners put the brakes on a four-game skid.
Millwood's last shutout came in 2003 when he was a member of the Philadelphia Phillies. The 37-year-old right hander threw three that season, including a no-hitter against the Giants on April 27 of that year.
"I felt like my stuff was good in the first couple innings of the game," said Millwood. "My location was pretty good and I felt like if I could keep my location where it was I had a chance to at least give us a chance."
Kyle Seager drove in a pair of runs, Mike Carp belted a solo homer and John Jaso had an RBI for Seattle.
Alex White (0-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits over seven innings.
"My job is to keep the team in the game, get deep in the ball game and just keep us there and give us a chance to win in the end. That's what I tried to do," White said.
Seattle wasted no time and took a 1-0 lead in the first. Mike Saunders tripled and scored when Seager singled to center.
Carp made it 2-0 after a solo homer in the second, his third of the season.
The Mariners picked up a pair of insurance runs in both the sixth and ninth innings to go up 4-0.
In the sixth, Ichiro Suzuki singled, stole second and advanced to third when Wilson Rosario's throw sailed into center. Suzuki later scored when Seager lifted a sacrifice fly to left.
Seager opened the ninth with a triple before scoring two hitters later when Jaso flied out to left.
The Rockies finally had an opportunity to score in the sixth. With Marco Scutaro on first, Jordan Pacheo singled, but Scutaro was gunned down at third to end the frame.
Dustin Ackley had his 13-game hitting streak snapped...Seager and Ackley both played with the losing pitcher White in college at North Carolina. The trio took three trips to the College World Series in 2007, 2008 and 2009...The Rockies are 56-38 in interleague play since 2006.
- SEATTLE: 4
May 18 11:15 PM
- Josh Roenicke enters the game for the Rockies with none on and two outs.
Mariners 4, Rockies 0 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 18 11:03 PM
- Justin Smoak struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mariners 3, Rockies 0 Mid 6May 18 10:11 PM
- Mike Carp two-out, solo Home Run (3) to center. Brendan Ryan due up.
Mariners 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 2 OutsMay 18 9:03 PM
- Kyle Seager single to center scored Michael Saunders with two outs. Runner on first and Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 1, Rockies 0 Top 1, 2 OutsMay 18 8:48 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 18 8:41 PM
- Report: Marlins ship Morrison to Mariners 3:23p
- Report: Seattle agrees to terms with Hart 3:03p
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's Tue
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Dec 6
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Dec 6
- Mariners ink Bloomquist to two-year deal Dec 5
- Report: Rockies, Morneau agree to two-year deal Dec 4
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Dec 3
- Bloomquist to return to Seattle on 2-year deal Dec 2
- Rockies to add Hawkins to the bullpen Nov 19
- Mariners formally introduce McClendon Nov 7
- Mariners hire McClendon as manager Nov 5