Aoki's homer lifts Brewers over Cubs in 10Jun 8, 2012 - 3:56 AM
Bryan LaHair's two-run pinch-hit homer in the eighth gave the Cubs a 3-2 lead.
But with two outs in the home half of the eighth, Corey Hart stroked a ground- rule double to knot the score up at 3-3. Aoki beat out an infield single then moved to second on a sacrifice bunt before scoring on Hart's double.
"(Aoki) is swinging the bat well, he's confident, and he's learned a lot," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "He's been consistent against left-handers. It's pretty amazing what he does. When he goes against left-handers, I know he's going to get hits."
Aoki finished the game 3-for-5 with a pair of solo homers. Hart and George Kottaras each drove in a run for the Brewers, winners in three of five.
"My only other home run was an inside the park job," Aoki said through a translator. "I'm really happy I hit two over the fence and I still can't believe it. They don't shove shaving cream in your face in Japan. It was a good feeling."
John Axford (1-2) threw a perfect ninth and 10th to get the win.
Casey Coleman (0-1) was pegged with the loss after surrendering the homer to Aoki.
Aoki's solo homer in the fourth gave the Brewers a 1-0 lead.
Milwaukee added another run in the sixth to go up 2-0. Hart doubled then scored when Kottaras singled to right.
The Cubs cut the lead to 2-1 in the seventh. Jeff Baker walked, moved to second on an error before advancing to third when Ian Stewart grounded into a double-play. Koyie Hill followed with a double to score Baker.
In the eighth Alfonso Soriano reached on a single before LaHair cracked his 12th homer of the season.
"Same old story for the most part," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum, "Getting great starts from our starters. They're going six or seven and giving up one or two and coming away with a loss consistently."
The Brewers have used a different starting lineup in each of the last 21 games...Milwaukee is 4-7 in games decided in the last at-bat this season...Randy Wolf started for Milwaukee and gave up just one unearned run on four hits of 6 2/3 innings...Matt Garza started for Chicago and gave up two runs on four hits over six innings...The Cubs haven't won a series in Milwaukee since winning two of three September 10-12, 2010.
- CHICAGO: 3
Jun 7 5:34 PM
- Norichika Aoki lead off Home Run 2 (3) to right to end the game.
Cubs 3, Brewers 4 Bot 10, 0 OutsJun 7 5:33 PM
- Corey Hart ground-rule double to center scored Norichika Aoki with two outs. Runner on second and Francisco Rodriguez due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 7 5:02 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Bryan LaHair two-out, two-run Home Run (12) to center scored Alfonso Soriano. Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 3, Brewers 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 7 4:43 PM
- David DeJesus is pinch-hitting for Matt Garza.
Cubs 1, Brewers 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 7 4:16 PM
- George Kottaras single to right scored Corey Hart with two outs. Runner on first and Rickie Weeks due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 7 4:06 PM
- Nyjer Morgan struck out swinging. None on with one out and Ryan Braun due up.
Cubs 0, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 7 3:17 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 7 2:10 PM
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- Report: Cubs sign P Wright Dec 5
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Cubs name Mueller hitting coach Nov 22
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Cubs officially name Renteria new manager Nov 7
- Reports: Cubs to name Renteria new manager Nov 6
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1
- Cubs, Sweeney agree to two-year contract Oct 10
- Cubs claim Gamel from Brewers Oct 3
- Cubs fire Dale Sveum Sep 30
- Cubs fire Dale Sveum Sep 30