Aybar's homer lifts Angels over DodgersJun 14, 2012 - 6:10 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - The Dodgers snapped the Angels' 10-game road winning streak on Tuesday, but Erick Aybar helped the visitors take the rubber match of the Freeway Series against the best home team in baseball.
Aybar smacked his first homer of the season, a go-ahead leadoff shot in the top of the ninth inning, lifting the Angels to a 2-1 win over the Dodgers.
Kenley Jansen (4-2) left a 1-1 cutter low and over the heart of the plate, which Aybar clubbed into the seats in right-center for a 2-1 Angels edge.
"I was told that he [Jansen] likes to throw the cutter in, so I was looking for it," Aybar said.
Ernesto Frieri pitched out of a first-and-third, no-out jam in the home half of the ninth to notch his sixth save of the season.
In the frame, A.J. Ellis walked and James Loney rolled a base hit through the hole on the right side -- the first Dodger hit since the third inning -- to put runners on the corners with none away.
Juan Uribe grounded one to Aybar at shortstop, who came home with the throw, nabbing Ellis who got caught in a rundown. Loney, though, was alertly able to advance to third on the play with one out.
But he was stranded there as Frieri struck out Tony Gwynn Jr. with a fastball and pinch-hitter Bobby Abreu bounced one back to the mound for the final out.
C.J. Wilson allowed a run on four hits and five walks in a seven-inning start, while LaTroy Hawkins (1-1) picked up the win with a scoreless eighth for the Halos.
Dodgers starter Nate Eovaldi lasted six frames and was charged with a run on seven hits and two walks for the Dodgers, who fell to 22-11 at home.
Andre Ethier hammered an RBI double to open the scoring in the opening frame, but the Angels got the run back in the second as Alberto Callaspo poked a solo shot down the right-field line that just snuck into the first couple rows of seats.
"We gave ourselves a chance to win," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
The Angels have prevailed in 11 of their last 15 games against the Dodgers...The Angels were 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left eight men on base, while the Dodgers finished 0-for-7 with RISP and stranded nine...Albert Pujols, who had a hit, had his seven-game multi-hit streak snapped.
- LOS ANGELES: 2
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jun 14 1:21 AM
- Erick Aybar lead-off Home Run (1) to right. John Hester due up.
Angels 2, Dodgers 1 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 14 12:55 AM
- Alberto Callaspo lead-off Home Run (3) to right. Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 13 10:37 PM
- Andre Ethier double to right scored Elian Herrera with two out. On the play, Andre Ethier advances to third on the throw. Runner on third and Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Angels 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 13 10:33 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 13 10:12 PM
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners 10:05p
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale 5:37p
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee 10:36a
- Angels hope to continue offensive onslaught versus Mariners 10:19a
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Angels crush Mariners behind Trout's cycle Wed
- Mariners continue road trip in Anaheim Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon
- Dodgers activate Lilly from DL Mon
- Dodgers begin series in Milwaukee with Kershaw on the hill Mon
- Braves overtake Dodgers with late surge Sun