Parker, Moss lead A's past RockiesJun 15, 2012 - 2:12 AM
Parker (3-3) walked just one batter and struck out six, throwing 60 of his 89 pitches for strikes in another strong June outing. The 23-year-old righty took a no-hitter into the eighth inning against Texas on June 4.
Josh Reddick also homered for the A's, who won all three games after being swept by the Diamondbacks in their last series.
"It was a good series you know," said Oakland manager Bob Melvin. "We tried not to dwell on the previous series coming into this, and we had some good games here."
Marco Scutaro homered off Brian Fuentes with one out in the ninth to break up the shutout, but the Rockies lost their eighth straight game -- their longest losing streak since dropping nine in a row last Sept. 15-23.
Alex White (2-5) gave up four runs -- two earned -- on seven hits and four walks in just four innings to take the loss. He struck out five.
"I think we were getting hit a little bit too much today," said White. "We tried to stay in this game here and it just got away from us."
Parker faced the minimum in four of his seven innings. He gave up a leadoff single to Dexter Fowler in the first and base hits to Chris Nelson in the third and sixth. He walked Fowler in the sixth and both runners moved up on a ground out in the only real action against the A's starter.
The A's took a 2-0 lead in the second inning after Moss doubled, Kurt Suzuki singled and both runners scored when third baseman Jordan Pacheco's low throw on a grounder by Adam Rosales skipped past first.
After Reddick doubled to lead off the third and Seth Smith walked, they moved up on a passed ball and scored on Moss' double off the right field wall to make it 4-0.
White pitched out of a bases-loaded jam in the fourth, his last inning.
Reddick hit a towering homer to right off Matt Reynolds in the eighth, his 15th of the season, and Moss led off the ninth with his fifth. Oakland's three-run rally in the ninth also included an RBI single by Coco Crisp.
After Scutaro's fourth homer of the season, Tyler Colvin added an RBI double off Fuentes.
The A's swept the Rockies in a three-game series from July 15-17, 2001. The Rockies swept the last series between the teams, winning three straight from June 26-28, 2009...Colorado was swept by Angels in its last series...The A's went 3-3 on a six-game road trip and were headed back to Oakland for a nine- game homestand starting with three against the Padres this weekend...The Rockies are headed on the road for a nine-game trip that starts Friday in Detroit.
- OAKLAND: 8
Jun 14 6:25 PM
- Jordan Pacheco walked. Runners on first and second with two outs and Wilin Rosario due up.
Athletics 8, Rockies 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 14 6:23 PM
- Marco Scutaro one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Carlos Gonzalez due up.
Athletics 8, Rockies 1 Bot 9, 1 OutJun 14 6:16 PM
- Josh Reddick struck out swinging to end the inning.
Athletics 8, Rockies 0 Mid 9Jun 14 6:09 PM
- Coco Crisp singled to center scoring Kurt Suzuki. On the play, Adam Rosales advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Cliff Pennington due up.
Athletics 7, Rockies 0 Top 9, 1 OutJun 14 6:04 PM
- Brandon Moss lead-off Home Run (5) to right center. Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 6, Rockies 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 14 5:57 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 5, Rockies 0 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 14 5:41 PM
- Brandon Moss doubled to right scoring Josh Reddick and Seth Smith. On the play, Moss advances to third on Michael Cuddyer's fielding error. Runner on third with one out and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Athletics 4, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 14 4:01 PM
- Adam Rosales reached second on Jordan Pacheco's throwing error scoring Brandon Moss and Kurt Suzuki. Runner on second with one out and Jarrod Parker due up.
Athletics 2, Rockies 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 14 3:35 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 14 3:10 PM
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals 10:05p
- Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping Giants 9:58p
- A's hope to complete sweep of Royals Sun
- Rockies target series win versus Zito and Giants Sun
- Rockies rout Giants behind Chatwood Sun
- Two-run sixth propels A's past Royals Sun
- Athletics reinstate OF Young Sat
- Yankees pick up Brignac from Colorado Sat
- Lincecum shoots for consecutive wins at Coors Sat
- Royals try to even series in Oakland Sat
- Rockies hold on, edge Giants in slugfest Sat
- Rosales, A's edge Royals Sat