Cubs edge White SoxJun 20, 2012 - 4:41 AM
Wood tossed six solid innings, while David DeJesus smacked two hits, including a go-ahead two-run single in the top of the third inning, as the Cubs edged the White Sox, 2-1, in the middle installment of a three-game interleague series.
"It was nice to finally win a one-run game," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum, whose team improved to 8-17 in that category. "It was a well-played game...DeJesus had a nice night."
Making his seventh start of the season, Wood (1-3) surrendered a run on four hits and four walks for the Cubs, who have won three of their last five. Carlos Marmol worked around a walk in the ninth to earn his fourth save of the year.
Wood was traded from the Reds for Sean Marshall during the offseason, but he was optioned to Triple-A Iowa on May 7 to make room for the up-and-coming Adrian Cardenas. Wood was recalled on May 22 to be the Cubs' fifth starter, replacing Chris Volstad after he posted a 7.46 ERA in eight starts.
Hard-luck loser Jake Peavy (6-3) spun his third complete game of the season, allowing two runs -- one earned -- on five hits and a walk for the White Sox, who have dropped six of their last seven. The 2007 NL Cy Young-award winner retired 16 Cubs in a row at one point.
"A loss is a loss," said Peavy. "We're going to find a way, the offense is in a little bit of a funk."
Alexei Ramirez belted an RBI ground-rule double to right in the second frame to open the scoring, giving the White Sox a 1-0 lead, but the Cubs retaliated and pushed across two in the third.
Geovany Soto reached on a one-out throwing error by Orlando Hudson at third, Tony Campana singled and both runners advanced a base on a Peavy wild pitch. DeJesus then ripped a single to right to bring home Soto and Campana for a 2-1 Cubs margin.
Starlin Castro made the defensive play of the night in the fifth. Alejandro De Aza poked one up into shallow left-center. Castro hustled back for an over-the-shoulder catch and amazingly bare handed the ball after it popped out of his glove.
Shawn Camp, Jeff Russell, Manuel Corpas and Marmol held the White Sox hitless over the final three frames.
Wood won his last game in a relief appearance while with the Reds against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Aug. 19. His last victory as a starter came against the Los Angeles Dodgers last June 15...Prior to the game, the White Sox optioned pitcher Zach Stewart to Triple-A Charlotte and recalled pitcher Dylan Axelrod from the same club.
- CHICAGO: 2
Jun 19 10:53 PM
- David DeJesus singled to right scored Geovany Soto and Tony Campana. Runner on first with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, White Sox 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 19 8:58 PM
- Alexei Ramirez ground-rule double to right scored Alex Rios with one out. On the play, Dayan Viciedo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Tyler Flowers due up.
Cubs 0, White Sox 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJun 19 8:38 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 19 8:12 PM
- Pirates eye sweep of Cubs 8:41a
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox 1:41a
- Liriano strong again as Pirates edge Cubs 12:31a
- Cubs' Camp lands on DL Wed
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago Wed
- Samardzija eyes another win in the Steel City Wed
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs Wed
- Quintana, ChiSox shut down Red Sox Wed
- Sale will not pitch on Wednesday Tue
- Cubs activate Garza from DL Tue
- Cubs claim Eduardo Sanchez off waivers Tue
- Red Sox hope to bounce back against White Sox Tue