Rockies down Phils to avoid sweepJun 22, 2012 - 3:02 AM
Jeff Francis gave up one run on six hits in a five-inning start for the Rockies, who snapped a four-game skid. Josh Roenicke (2-0) tossed 1 1/3 scoreless innings to pick up the win.
"He was doing what he does," Phillies outfielder Shane Victorino said of Francis. "He's not overpowering like he used to be, but he pitched very effectively."
Jimmy Rollins homered for the Phillies, who were trying to record their first three-game series sweep of the year.
Vance Worley (3-4) allowed two runs on four hits over seven innings.
Rollins started the bottom of the first with a homer over the wall in left. The Phillies left runners on first and second later in the inning.
Philadelphia had a chance to add to its lead in the second. John Mayberry led off with a double to left-center field. Two batters later, Worley reached first on third baseman Jordan Pacheco's throwing error. Francis retired the next two batters to keep it a 1-0 game.
"He did a terrific job in picking us up after the defensive miscue," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said of Francis.
Meanwhile, Worley was cruising on the mound for the Phillies. But it took just one mistake from Worley in the seventh to change the game. Tyler Colvin hit a one-out double down the left-field line. Nelson stepped to the plate with two outs and smacked Worley's offering over the left-center field wall to give Colorado a 2-1 edge.
Philadelphia wasted another golden scoring opportunity in the eighth. Pinch- hitter Ty Wigginton led off with a double to right-center field. Matt Belisle was able to settle down and retire the next three batters to keep Colorado in front.
Rosario's homer in the ninth provided some breathing room. Pinch-hitter Todd Helton walked with one out. Michael Schwimer came in from the bullpen and gave up the home run to Rosario.
Rafael Betancourt tossed a perfect ninth for his 11th save of the season.
The Phillies had won five in a row against the Rockies...Worley hasn't won since May 11th...Colorado improved to 2-4 on a nine-game road trip...Philadelphia went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position and stranded seven.
- COLORADO: 4
Jun 21 10:09 PM
- Wilin Rosario two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left scored Todd Helton. DJ LeMahieu due up.
Rockies 4, Phillies 1 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 21 9:54 PM
- Chris Nelson two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left center scored Tyler Colvin. Wilin Rosario due up.
Rockies 2, Phillies 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 21 9:01 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to left. Runner on first with one out and Carlos Ruiz due up.
Rockies 0, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 21 7:19 PM
- COLORADO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 21 7:08 PM
- Report: Rockies, Morneau agree to two-year deal Wed
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Tue
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Tue
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Rockies to add Hawkins to the bullpen Nov 19
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18
- Phils sign four to minor league deals Nov 15
- Phillies ink Byrd to 2-year, $16 million deal Nov 12
- Reports: OF Byrd reaches agreement with Phillies Nov 12
- Rockies' Belisle to return in 2014 Nov 4
- Phillies outright Bernadina, three others Oct 17