Angels crush Orioles, 13-1Jun 28, 2012 - 4:27 AM Baltimore, MD (Sports Network) - Mike Trout tracked J.J. Hardy's drive to the wall and leapt to save a home run in the first inning, beating his chest in celebration after coming down with the ball.
The Angels, their offense firing on all cylinders, hardly needed the extra run to finish off a two-game sweep of the Orioles.
Torii Hunter homered and scored four times, Trout had four hits and the Angels routed the Orioles, 13-1, on Wednesday night to give Jered Weaver a leisurely win in his second outing since coming off the disabled list.
The Angels had four homers for a 7-3 win in the series opener on Tuesday and ended the brief set with 33 combined hits and 20 runs. Trout, Hunter (3) and Kendrys Morales (3) combined for 10 of the team's 16 hits on Wednesday, with Morales driving in four runs.
"They're swinging the bats pretty well, at least they have these two games," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter. "Every mistake you made they were on."
Weaver (8-1) struck out six in 6 2/3 innings and gave up a run on six hits and a walk to win his second straight start since coming off the DL.
The Angels put the game away with a six-run fourth and won for the sixth time in their last seven games.
The Orioles have dropped six of eight. Starter Jason Hammel (8-3) entered the game with a 19-inning scoreless streak but gave up eight runs in 3 1/3 innings to snap a four-start unbeaten streak.
Hunter's one-out homer in the first, his 10th of the season, ended Hammel's streak but wasn't the biggest play in the inning.
That was reserved for Trout's highlight-reel grab in right-center, where he jumped several feet off the ground from several feet in front of the wall to nab Hardy's drive in the top of his glove.
"Obviously a tremendous play by Trout. It was one of the best plays I've ever seen behind me," said Weaver. "That was very uplifting and I kind of worked off that."
The Orioles ended up tying the score after Chris Davis singled and scored on Adam Jones' double down the left field line, sliding in ahead of the tag.
The Angels poured it on after that, however, scoring two runs with a two-out rally in the third and sending 11 batters to the plate in a six-run fourth.
Morales hit a bases-loaded single to make it 3-1 in the third after Trout singled and Hunter and Albert Pujols both walked.
Alberto Callaspo's leadoff double and Howie Kendrick's RBI single started the Angels rally in the fourth. Trout, Hunter, Morales and Callaspo also had RBI singles in the inning.
Five of the runs were charged to Hammel and one to Matt Lindstrom, who pitched for the first time since May 10 after being activated off the disabled list earlier Wednesday.
The Angels built an 11-1 lead against Kevin Gregg in the fifth, loading the bases with two outs before two runs scored on Brian Roberts' error at second on a Morales grounder.
Bobby Wilson doubled off Darren O'Day to start the seventh and scored on Peter Bourjos' two-out double. Morales followed with a single to make it 13-1.
Orioles DH Nick Johnson left the game with an injured right wrist...The Angels are 4-1 in the season series..Lindstrom had been on the disabled list with a right middle finger injury. The Orioles optioned infielder Steve Tolleson to Triple-A Norfolk on Wednesday...Hammel was 2-0 in four previous June starts, winning his previous two outings...The Orioles are 2-3 on a nine-game homestand that ends with four against the Indians...This series started a nine-game road trip for the Angels, who will visit Toronto next for four games against the Blue Jays.
- LOS ANGELES: 13
Jun 27 9:59 PM
- Mark Trumbo grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. On the play, Kendrys Morales out at second to end the inning.
Angels 13, Orioles 1 Mid 7Jun 27 9:22 PM
- Peter Bourjos double to right scored Bobby Wilson with two outs. Runner on second and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 12, Orioles 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 27 9:18 PM
- Kendrys Morales reached first on Brian Roberts's fielding error scored Mike Trout and Torii Hunter with two outs. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to third. Runners on first and third and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 11, Orioles 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:49 PM
- Alberto Callaspo single to right scored Albert Pujols with two outs. On the play, Kendrys Morales advances to second. Runners on first and second and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 9, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 27 8:29 PM
- Mark Trumbo lined out to short. Runners on first and third with two outs and Alberto Callaspo due up.
Angels 8, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 27 8:28 PM
- Torii Hunter stole second advances to third on Wilson Betemit's missed catch error, Mike Trout scores with one out. Runner on third and Albert Pujols at the plate.
Angels 7, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 8:26 PM
- Torii Hunter single to center scored Bobby Wilson with one out. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Albert Pujols due up.
Angels 6, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 8:18 PM
- Mike Trout single to pitcher scored Erick Aybar with one out. On the play, Bobby Wilson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 5, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 27 8:16 PM
- Howie Kendrick single to center scored Alberto Callaspo with none out. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 27 8:07 PM
- Kendrys Morales single to center scored Mike Trout and Torii Hunter with two outs. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second and Mark Trumbo due up.
Angels 3, Orioles 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 27 7:56 PM
- Adam Jones double to left scored Chris Davis with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Wieters due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 27 7:23 PM
- Albert Pujols grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Kendrys Morales due up.
Angels 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 27 7:13 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 7:09 PM
- Vargas pitches Angels past White Sox 7:35p
- Moore wins major league-best eighth game as Rays sweep O's 7:12p
- Angels shoot for split in set with White Sox 9:50a
- Moore tries to win ninth straight decision in Camden finale 9:27a
- Rays use 6-run ninth to down O's Sat
- Angels outslug White Sox to end skid Sat
- Orioles bring up Jurrjens, Reimold to DL Sat
- White Sox aim to stay hot in Anaheim Sat
- Jurrjens makes O's debut in middle tilt with Rays Sat
- Sale, White Sox shut out Angels Sat
- Rays nip Orioles in Baltimore slugfest Sat
- White Sox rely on Sale in Anaheim Fri