Pirates outslug Phillies, spoil Utley's returnJun 28, 2012 - 4:07 AM
Utley, sidelined for the Phillies' first 76 games due to a chronic knee condition, finished with three hits and brought the Citizens Bank Park crowd to its feet by homering in his first at-bat.
Carlos Ruiz followed Utley's blast with one of his own, putting Philadelphia in good standing for its first three-game win streak this month.
But Pittsburgh's offense took advantage of the porous Phillies' bullpen. Michael McKenry homered and drove in four runs, Casey McGehee belted a solo shot and Neil Walker went 3-for-4 with three runs scored and an RBI.
Andrew McCutchen added a two-run homer off Chad Qualls in the eighth after the hosts pulled within a run, sealing a win for starter James McDonald (7-3), who allowed four runs on six hits over 5 2/3 frames.
Philadelphia, out of starting pitching options as a result of Sunday's doubleheader, had six relievers combine to allow 14 hits. Raul Valdes (2-1) was the first on the hill and yielded three runs on two hits and a pair of walks in two innings to take the loss.
Utley received a standing ovation when he made his way to the plate in the first inning, and the commotion grew louder when McDonald hung a breaking ball and Utley crushed it deep into the seats in right-center.
"I was excited to be out there. It's been a long road to get to this point," Utley said. "I had a lot of emotions and a lot of adrenaline. The crowd definitely helped out.
McDonald, who had given up just four homers in 14 starts coming in, yielded another round-tripper to Ruiz five pitches later.
The tide turned in Pittsburgh's favor the next inning. Walker earned a walk and Jose Tabata kept the inning alive with a two-out single in front of McKenry, who turned on a payoff pitch for his second homer in as many nights.
"I was very proud of the way we responded," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
McGehee opened the fourth with a home run to straightaway center off Joe Savery, and McDonald knocked in Walker with a two-out base hit later in the inning.
Run-scoring singles from Walker, Tabata and McKenry in the fifth extended the margin to 8-2, but the Phillies inched closer when Hunter Pence and Shane Victorino each plated a run in the sixth.
The score tightened in the seventh, which started with the Phillies putting their first five hitters on base. Jimmy Rollins tripled in a run, Juan Pierre knocked in another and Ruiz cut the deficit to 8-7 with an RBI single.
Brad Lincoln came in on relief and retired the middle of Philadelphia's order -- Pence, Victorino and pinch-hitter Jim Thome -- in succession to end the threat.
Qualls was unable to keep it close in the eighth. Pinch-hitter Alex Presley earned a leadoff walk and scored on Drew Sutton's double off the right-field wall, and McCutchen followed with his 14th home run of the year.
"We have to get our bullpen straightened out. You see it. We see it. They know it," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said.
Utley is not expected to play in the finale of the four-game series Thursday afternoon...McDonald had not allowed more than three runs in any start this season...Philadelphia hasn't won three in a row since a four-game win streak from May 23-26...This was Valdes' second career start...Philadelphia's bullpen ranked 12th in the National League with a 4.46 ERA coming in...The Pirates won for just the third time in their last 19 games at Citizens Bank Park.
- PITTSBURGH: 11
Jun 27 10:38 PM
- Andrew McCutchen one-out, two-run Home Run (14) to right center scored Drew Sutton. Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 11, Phillies 7 Top 8, 1 OutJun 27 10:06 PM
- Carlos Ruiz singled to right scoring Juan Pierre with none out. On the play, Chase Utley advances to second. Runners on first and second and Hunter Pence due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 27 9:45 PM
- Juan Pierre singled to left scoring Jimmy Rollins with none out. Runner on first and Chase Utley due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 6 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 27 9:40 PM
- Jimmy Rollins tripled to right center scoring Hector Luna with none out. Runner on third and Juan Pierre due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 27 9:35 PM
- Shane Victorino singled to left scoring Hunter Pence with two out. Runner on first and Michael Schwimer due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 27 9:13 PM
- Hunter Pence doubled to left center scoring Carlos Ruiz with two out. Runner on second and Shane Victorino due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 27 9:09 PM
- Michael McKenry singled to left deflected by third scoring Neil Walker with two out. On the play, Jose Tabata advances to third. Runners on first and third and James McDonald due up.
Pirates 8, Phillies 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:45 PM
- Jose Tabata singled to center scoring Andrew McCutchen with two out. On the play, Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 7, Phillies 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 27 8:42 PM
- Neil Walker singled to left scoring Drew Sutton with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to third. Runners on first and third and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 6, Phillies 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 27 8:35 PM
- James McDonald singled to left scoring Neil Walker with two out. On the play, Michael McKenry advances to third. Runners on first and third and Josh Harrison due up.
Pirates 5, Phillies 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 27 8:19 PM
- Casey McGehee lead-off Home Run (4) to center. Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 4, Phillies 2 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 27 8:08 PM
- Michael McKenry two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Neil Walker and Jose Tabata. James McDonald due up.
Pirates 3, Phillies 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 27 7:38 PM
- Carlos Ruiz two-out, solo Home Run (11) to left. Hunter Pence due up.
Pirates 0, Phillies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 27 7:22 PM
- Chase Utley two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Carlos Ruiz due up.
Pirates 0, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 27 7:19 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 27 7:05 PM
- Nats seek rebound effort from Haren against Phillies 10:55a
- Brewers shoot for quick series win over Pirates 9:37a
- Four-run fifth helps Nats down Phillies 12:51a
- Estrada pitches Brewers over Pirates 11:54p
- Nats seek to get offense going against rival Phillies Fri
- Burnett tries to get off the schneid in Milwaukee Fri
- Oblique strain sends Phillies' Utley to DL Fri
- McCutchen helps Pirates sweep Cubs Thu
- Pirates eye sweep of Cubs Thu
- Liriano strong again as Pirates edge Cubs Thu
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed