Stanton, Marlins top reeling PhilliesJul 1, 2012 - 2:58 AM
Mark Buehrle (7-8) got the decision, allowing two runs on seven hits over seven innings. He walked one and struck out seven. Heath Bell worked around a one-out double in the ninth to record his 16th save of the season.
Justin Ruggiano added a sacrifice fly for the Marlins, who have won three in a row for the first time since May 28-30. They will look for a sweep of this three-game series on Sunday.
"I hope this is not a tease," said Miami manager Ozzie Guillen. "I hope this is for real and so far it's been good. That's the type of game we want to play here."
Cole Hamels (10-4) gave up three runs on seven hits over seven innings in the setback. Three of his four losses this season have come against Miami.
Hunter Pence went 3-for-4 with a solo homer for the Phillies, who have dropped four in a row and 10 of their last 15 overall.
"We have to play a lot better. We have to play over .600 baseball the rest of the way. Can we do it? I've seen us hit big streaks. Yeah, it's possible," said Phillies manager Charlie Manuel.
Pence, who also homered in the series opener, cut Philadelphia's deficit to 3-2 with a seventh inning blast on Saturday. His only out of the game came in the ninth, when he struck out following Carlos Ruiz's double.
Shane Victorino had the other RBI for the Phillies -- a sac fly in the second inning -- but he grounded out to end the game.
Stanton hit his 18th homer of the season with two down in the first, then slapped a go-ahead single in the third. That base hit up the middle scored Jose Reyes, who doubled earlier in the inning.
Ruggiano added a sac fly in the fifth after Miami loaded the bases with a Reyes single and walks to Stanton and Logan Morrison.
Mike Dunn pitched a 1-2-3 eighth for Miami...Ruiz went 2-for-4 with two doubles...The Phillies sent designated hitter Jim Thome to the Baltimore Orioles for prospects Gabriel Lino (catcher) and Kyle Simon (pitcher) on Saturday.
- PHILADELPHIA: 2
Jun 30 6:31 PM
- Hunter Pence one-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Shane Victorino due up.
Phillies 2, Marlins 3 Top 7, 1 OutJun 30 5:47 PM
- Justin Ruggiano sacrifice fly to center scored Jose Reyes with two outs. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to second and Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on second and third and Omar Infante due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJun 30 5:32 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton singled to center scored Jose Reyes with two outs. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 4:57 PM
- Ty Wigginton walked. Runner on first with two outs and John Mayberry due up.
Phillies 1, Marlins 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 30 4:33 PM
- Logan Morrison flied out to center to end the inning.
Phillies 0, Marlins 1 End 1Jun 30 4:24 PM
- PHILADELPHIA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:10 PM
- Halladay calls it a career Mon
- Marlins finalize deal with Furcal Fri
- Marlins make Saltalamacchia signing official Fri
- Report: Furcal agrees to one-year deal with Marlins Fri
- Phillies sign catcher Nieves Thu
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Dec 3
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18
- Phils sign four to minor league deals Nov 15
- Phillies ink Byrd to 2-year, $16 million deal Nov 12
- Reports: OF Byrd reaches agreement with Phillies Nov 12