Orioles host Indians in finale at Camden YardsJul 1, 2012 - 3:23 PM
After a split in the first two games, the Indians set a season-high in hits for the second straight game to power their 11-5 victory in the third bout of the series on Saturday. Shin-Soo Choo led the way by going 4-for-5 with a home run, three RBI, and a walk for Cleveland.
Jose Lopez went 5-for-6 with three runs batted in and Asdrubal Cabrera finished 3-for-5 with two RBI and a walk. Catcher Lou Marson was also locked in as he went 4-for-5 with an RBI and three scored runs.
"I'm getting consistent at-bats, good opportunity and I feel good right now," Marson said. "I'm just trying to get quality at-bats and trying to see the ball. I don't want to talk about it. I just want to keep swinging it."
Josh Tomlin (4-5) picked up the win for the Tribe by lasting six innings and surrendering five earned runs.
Right-hander Justin Masterson will take the hill today for the Indians, who come in 2 1/2 games behind the White Sox in the AL Central race.
Masterson was handed a loss on Tuesday after surrendering four earned runs on seven hits in six innings versus the Yankees. The Indians' starter had allowed only one earned run and struck out 24 batters in his three previous starts. Masterson's ERA of 4.09 is the team's best among starters.
Masterson is 1-4 with a 6.88 ERA in away games this season. He is 4-3 with a 5.31 ERA in his career versus Baltimore.
The Orioles parted ways with two Class A players to add Jim Thome in an attempt to bolster the offense. The 41-year old slugger could make his debut with the team today. Thome was impressive with Philadelphia during interleague play when given the opportunity to see more pitches as a designated hitter.
Center-fielder Adam Jones improved his team-best batting average to .300 in Saturday's loss by going 2-for-4 at the plate with a pair of doubles. Chris Davis got into the action as well with a three-run home run while Brian Roberts and Matt Wieters drove in a run apiece. The addition of Thome could be very useful for the Orioles as they try to match the red-hot offense of Cleveland.
"I think it's exciting. Thome is a guy I loved watch play growing up, and I had a lot of respect for," Davis said. "I'm excited to have him here not only as a player, but as a mentor."
Baltimore southpaw Brian Matusz will have the challenge of stifling the Indians' offense today. The lefty is going to have to snap out of his own current slump to give his team a chance, however.
Matusz has lost four consecutive starts and has not completed the sixth inning in any of them. The Orioles' pitcher gave up a career-worst 13 hits and five runs to the Angels in five innings in his most recent start on Tuesday.
Matusz is 1-0 with a 0.64 ERA in two career starts versus the Indians.
Cleveland has won six of its last nine games at Camden Yards.
- CLEVELAND: 6
Jul 1 4:18 PM
- Jason Kipnis stole second. Runner on second with one out and Jack Hannahan at the plate.
Indians 6, Orioles 2 Top 9, 1 OutJul 1 4:03 PM
- Jim Thome grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Indians 5, Orioles 2 End 6Jul 1 3:18 PM
- Ronny Paulino singled to left. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Robert Andino due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 1 2:57 PM
- Aaron Cunningham struck out swinging. On the play, Lou Marson stole second. Runner on second with two outs and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 1 2:31 PM
- Casey Kotchman double to right scored Shelley Duncan with none out. Runner on second with none out and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 1 2:23 PM
- Shelley Duncan double to left scored Jose Lopez with none out. Runner on second with none out and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 0 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 1 2:22 PM
- Aaron Cunningham lead-off Home Run (1) to left center. Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 0 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 1 2:06 PM
- Shelley Duncan one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 2, 1 OutJul 1 1:52 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 1:37 PM
- Orioles sign Peguero Sat
- A's make Kazmir signing official Wed
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Orioles claim INF Phelps off waivers Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Indians make it official with Murphy Nov 25
- Indians sign Zagurski to minor league deal Nov 22
- Report: Indians reach deal with OF Murphy Nov 20
- O's sign reliever Escalona Nov 20
- Francona, Hurdle named managers of the year Nov 12
- Tribe extend qualifying offer to Jimenez Nov 4