Dodgers top Mets, snap skid at 7Jul 2, 2012 - 3:55 AM
Loney's groundout gave Los Angeles its first lead in 66 innings. He added an RBI double as part of a four-run seventh, helping the Dodgers halt a season- high seven-game losing streak.
All-Star Clayton Kershaw (6-4) got the win, allowing three runs -- one earned -- on five hits over seven innings. He walked three and struck out nine.
The two unearned runs came courtesy of consecutive third-inning errors by Dee Gordon, who atoned with an RBI and run scored later in the game.
Dillon Gee (5-7) took the loss for the Mets, winners of a four straight entering Sunday. He gave up four runs -- two earned -- on five hits and two walks over six innings.
"We didn't play good tonight," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "Dillon pitched good and we didn't help him. We just had a bad night tonight."
Scott Hairston had a first-inning RBI single in the setback.
Juan Rivera tied the game with an RBI double in the bottom half, but Gordon's gaffes allowed New York to reclaim the lead.
With runners at first and second and one down, David Wright hit a grounder to second baseman Adam Kennedy, who initiated a potential double play with a flip to Gordon. The shortstop tagged second base, but his throw to first was wide, allowing Gee to score.
On the next play, Gordon fielded a grounder from Hairston, then threw a one- hopper to first, which was bobbled by Loney, allowing Wright to cross the plate for a 3-1 lead.
Gordon was somewhat vindicated in the fifth when he plated Juan Uribe with a high chopper towards first, which was misplayed by Justin Turner. A.J. Ellis followed with a game-tying sac fly, scoring Tony Gwynn, who reached on an error by Ronny Cedeno.
An inning later, Rivera drew a leadoff walk, advanced to third on Kennedy's ground-rule double, and scored the go-ahead run on Loney's groundout to Cedeno.
Kennedy added a sac fly in the seventh and a pair of runs scored on an error by catcher Mike Nickeas.
"A great game for us. We took advantage of their mistakes," said Kershaw. "We went through a rough patch but hopefully we got out of it tonight. It feels good to win."
Kershaw improved to 5-0 in six career starts against the Mets...The Dodgers' seven-game losing streak was their longest since they dropped eight straight games in 2008...Kershaw and injured outfielder Matt Kemp were named to the National League All-Star team for the Dodgers, while pitcher R.A. Dickey and Wright made it for the Mets.
- NEW YORK: 3
LOS ANGELES: 8
Jul 1 11:07 PM
- James Loney doubled to right scored Juan Rivera. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 8 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:41 PM
- Adam Kennedy sacrifice fly to left scored Bobby Abreu. Runner on first with two outs and James Loney due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJul 1 10:39 PM
- Juan Rivera grounded into a fielder's choice to the pitcher. On the play, Mike Nickeas's fielding error scored Dee Gordon and A.J. Ellis. Bobby Abreu advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Adam Kennedy due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 1 10:39 PM
- James Loney grounded out second to first scored Juan Rivera. On the play, Adam Kennedy advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 1 10:06 PM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly to center scored Tony Gwynn Jr.. Runner on first with two outs and Bobby Abreu due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 1 9:45 PM
- Dee Gordon reached first on Justin Turner's fielding error scored Juan Uribe. On the play, Tony Gwynn Jr. advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and A.J. Ellis due up. NOTE: Credit Gordon with an RBI>
Mets 3, Dodgers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 1 9:44 PM
- Scott Hairston reached first on Dee Gordon's throwing error scored David Wright. Runner on first with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 3, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 1 8:54 PM
- David Wright grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Ruben Tejada out at second. On the play, Dee Gordon's throwing error scored Dillon Gee. Wright advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Scott Hairston due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 1 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 1 8:51 PM
- Juan Rivera doubled to right scored A.J. Ellis. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Kennedy due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 1 8:28 PM
- Scott Hairston singled to left center scored Ruben Tejada. On the play, Hairston was thrown out trying to advance to second, David Wright advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Lucas Duda due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 1 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 1 8:07 PM
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers 1:48a
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets 10:47a
- Dodgers return home to face Cards 10:24a
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue