Tribe top RaysJul 8, 2012 - 3:50 AM
Jimenez (8-7) struck out eight and surrendered two runs on five hits and a walk for Cleveland, which has won six of its last eight games. It was the fifth time in his last seven starts that Jimenez allowed three runs or fewer.
"Ubaldo continues to give us good outings," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "This is his seventh in a row. He had very good command of the strike zone."
Carlos Santana and Michael Brantley each tallied a hit, an RBI and run scored.
Matt Moore (5-6) was charged with five runs on five hits and five walks in 4 2/3 innings for the Rays, who have dropped three of their last four contests.
Luke Scott cracked a two-run shot, while B.J. Upton belted a solo blast.
The Indians struck first, scoring three runs in the second frame and two more in the third.
Brantley began the third with a double, and after Duncan walked, Lou Marson looped a double to left that just snuck past a diving Desmond Jennings, plating Brantley.
Duncan scored when Jack Hannahan grounded out and Aaron Cunningham's double pushed across Marson for a 3-0 Indians advantage.
Asdrubal Cabrera walked and Jose Lopez doubled to start the third. Cabrera came home on Brantley's groundout and Santana belted an opposite-field double off the base of the wall in right-center, scoring Lopez to stretch the Cleveland margin to 5-0.
"I'm either going to be putting pressure on them or [they're] putting pressure on me," said Moore of his shaky start. "I couldn't find an adjustment to make it the opposite. So they were putting pressure on me. ... I was pitching from behind a lot."
The Rays got two runs back in the fourth when Scott hammered a two-run shot to center, cutting the deficit to 5-2.
Cleveland, though, tacked on a pair of insurance runs in the eighth. Santana worked a leadoff walk and Duncan belted a two-run blast to center, making it 7-2.
Upton's solo shot in the ninth accounted for the final margin.
Tampa Bay was 1-for-5 with runners in scoring position while Cleveland finished 3-for-9...The Indians hold a 71-43 advantage all-time against Tampa Bay.
- TAMPA BAY: 3
Jul 7 9:00 PM
- Jeff Keppinger grounded out short to first. None on with one out and Luke Scott due up.
Rays 3, Indians 7 Top 9, 1 OutJul 7 8:56 PM
- Shelley Duncan none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left center scored Carlos Santana. Lou Marson due up.
Rays 2, Indians 7 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 7 8:47 PM
- Luke Scott two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Ben Zobrist. Jose Molina due up.
Rays 2, Indians 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 7 7:16 PM
- Carlos Santana double to right scored Jose Lopez with one out. Runner on second and Shelley Duncan due up.
Rays 0, Indians 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 7:05 PM
- Michael Brantley ground out short to first scored Asdrubal Cabrera with one out. On the play, Jose Lopez advances to third. Runner on third and Carlos Santana due up.
Rays 0, Indians 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 7 7:04 PM
- Aaron Cunningham double to center scored Lou Marson with two out. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Rays 0, Indians 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 7 6:48 PM
- Jack Hannahan ground out short to first scored Shelley Duncan with two out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to third. Runner on third and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Rays 0, Indians 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 7 6:45 PM
- Lou Marson double to left scored Michael Brantley with one out. On the play, Shelley Duncan advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jack Hannahan due up.
Rays 0, Indians 1 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 7 6:42 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 6:07 PM
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston 11:12p
- Indians' Huff designated 3:32p
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Tigers outlast Indians Thu
- Bautista, Blue Jays slip by Rays in 10 Thu
- Rounding Third: Don't buy into the Indians Wed
- Tigers ace Verlander hopes to rebound against Tribe Wed
- Rays, Jays tangle in finale at Rogers Centre Wed
- Rays outlast Blue Jays Wed
- Tigers whip Tribe as Scherzer remains unbeaten Wed
- Sizzling Indians open quick set versus Tigers Tue
- Ortiz leads Jays into meeting with visiting Rays Tue