Nats use 6-run 10th to down MetsJul 24, 2012 - 4:50 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Bryce Harper drove in the go-ahead run as part of a six-run 10th inning to lead Washington in an 8-2 win over New York in the opener of a three-game set.
Harper also had a solo home run while Ryan Zimmerman added a three-run double in the 10th and Michael Morse followed with a two-run homer to help the Nationals win a third consecutive game. Tom Gorzelanny (3-2) got the win for getting the final two outs of the ninth and working a scoreless 10th inning.
David Wright and Ike Davis hit solo home runs for the Mets, who have lost four straight and 10 of 11.
Neither starter factored in the decision despite both pitching well. Jordan Zimmermann went six innings for Washington and gave up just one run on four hits with six strikeouts, while Chris Young gave up two runs on three hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over seven innings for the Mets.
The Nats took the lead and then some in the 10th. With Tim Byrdak (2-2) on the mound, Roger Bernadina led off with a single. Sandy Leon then hit a grounder back to the mound and Byrdak quickly went to second, but Ruben Tejada was unable to hold on to the ball and everyone was safe.
"I tried to make the jump and turn too fast," said Tejada. "They had a really good runner coming to second, but that's no excuse because I have to make those routine plays."
Pedro Beato then took the mound and Mark DeRosa laid down a bunt that was fielded by Beato and he got the force out at third. Steve Lombardozzi, though, then singled to load the bases and Harper drove in the go-ahead run with a single to right. Ryan Zimmerman then cleared the bases with a double to center and Morse followed with a shot over the wall in center for an 8-2 lead.
"I just wanted to make sure I didn't hit into a double play there," said Harper. "Got a good pitch to swing at and I was just trying to get it into the outfield."
The Mets were unable to get any across in the bottom portion.
The Nats struck quickly in the opening frame to take the lead as Lombardozzi led off with a single and came home when Harper drilled a full-count fastball over the right field wall for a 2-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Mets got a leadoff single from Tejada, but Jordany Valdespin quickly hit into a double play. Wright then hit his 15th homer of the year, a shot over the left-center wall, to make it a 2-1 game.
Jordan Zimmermann departed after the sixth inning and Drew Storen got the first out of the seventh, but Mike Gonzalez then came on and served up a first-pitch homer by Davis that went off the webbing on the right field foul pole to tie the game.
Before the game, the Nationals placed shortstop Ian Desmond on the 15-day DL, retroactive to July 22, with a left oblique strain and recalled outfielder Corey Brown from Triple-A Syracuse...The Nats have won seven of 10 from the Mets this season.
- WASHINGTON: 8
NEW YORK: 2
Jul 23 10:26 PM
- Michael Morse one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Ryan Zimmerman. Tom Gorzelanny due up.
Nationals 8, Mets 2 Top 10, 1 OutJul 23 10:09 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman double to center scored Mark DeRosa, Steve Lombardozzi and Bryce Harper with one out. Runner on second with one out and Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 6, Mets 2 Top 10, 1 OutJul 23 10:08 PM
- Bryce Harper single to right scored Sandy Leon with one out. On the play, Steve Lombardozzi advances to second and Mark DeRosa advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Nationals 3, Mets 2 Top 10, 1 OutJul 23 10:06 PM
- Ike Davis one-out, solo Home Run (15) to right. Daniel Murphy due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 23 9:05 PM
- David Wright two-out, solo Home Run (15) to left center. Ike Davis due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 23 8:18 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman popped out to second. None on with one out and Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 2, Mets 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 23 7:17 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 7:11 PM
- Braves hand Mets' Marcum another loss 11:07p
- Desmond's slam in 11th lifts Nats over Phils 10:56p
- Mets' Atchison back on DL 5:38p
- Nationals' Espinosa activated from DL, sent to minors 2:39p
- Rounding Third: Wheeling and dealing, Mets' future is brighter 2:18p
- Phils hope to break the brooms out on Nats 2:12p
- Mets shoot for another win against Braves 2:11p
- Wheeler wins MLB debut as Mets take two from Braves Wed
- Rockies deal OF Young to Mets Tue
- Lee keeps rolling as Phillies best Nats Tue
- Harvey fans 13 as Mets hold off Braves Tue
- Mets activate Atchison, place Turner on DL Tue