Richards aims for another strong start when Angels host RoyalsJul 24, 2012 - 2:58 PM (Sports Network) - Garrett Richards tries to follow up a terrific showing his last time out when he goes for the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in the second test of a three-game set against the Kansas City Royals at Angels Stadium.
Richards scattered three hits with four walks over seven scoreless innings to beat the Detroit Tigers last Tuesday to run his record to 3-1 on the year, while lowering his ERA to 3.53.
"(Last Tuesday) was one of those special nights," Richards told his team's official website. "I had everything working. I had the curveball, slider was good, glove-side fastball was good, and my sinker was on tonight. When you put all those together and you command the zone, you're going to have a good night."
Richards, who has never faced the Royals, has been so impressive for the Angels that manager Mike Scioscia decided to stick with him and move Jerome Williams to the bullpen upon Dan Haren's return from the disabled list.
"Garrett's not a finished product, but he has that electric arm," Scioscia said.
Kansas City will counter with a youngster of its own 23-year-old lefty Will Smith, who was roughed up in his return to the big leagues on Thursday. Smith was recalled from Triple-A to face Seattle on Thursday and was hit for four runs and eight hits in 6 1/3 innings. He is 1-3 this season with a 7.97 ERA.
Smith will try to slow down an Angels team that has won three of four after taking Monday's opener, 6-3.
Kendrys Morales' bases-clearing, single in the eighth was the difference in that one, while Mike Trout had a pair of hits and scored a run, extending his American League rookie-record scoring streak to 15 games.
The AL record is 18 games, set by Red Rolfe (1939) and Kenny Lofton (2000).
C.J. Wilson pitched 6 2/3 solid innings in no decision for the Angels. He allowed three runs on nine hits, striking out six and walking one. Kevin Jepsen (1-1) earned the win after tossing 1 1/3 innings of scoreless relief.
"Tonight, I gave up three runs. I'm upset about that," Wilson said. "I'm upset about giving up as many hits as I did. So that's under my control. If I lose 2-1, then I can be frustrated. But if you get a no-decision because you're giving up three runs, that's your fault."
Kansas City starter Bruce Chen, who allowed 22 runs in 19 innings across four July starts coming into Monday, gave up three runs in just 5 1/3 and was let off the hook with a no decision. Greg Holland (4-3) took the loss after the Angels lit him up for three runs in their decisive eighth inning.
Eric Hosmer had a pair of hits and scored twice for the Royals, who have dropped eight of 11 since the All-Star break.
The Angels took two of three from the Royals back in April and have won 10 of the last 13 in the series.
- KANSAS CITY: 4
LOS ANGELES: 1
Jul 25 1:02 AM
- Alcides Escobar fielder's choice to short scored Chris Getz with two out. Alex Gordon out at second. Runner on first with two outs and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Royals 4, Angels 1 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 24 10:43 PM
- Alex Gordon single to left scored Eric Hosmer with one out. On the play, Chris Getz advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 3, Angels 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 24 10:40 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to left scored Torii Hunter. On the play, Albert Pujols advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Royals 2, Angels 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 24 10:31 PM
- Lorenzo Cain one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Alex Gordon. Billy Butler due up.
Royals 2, Angels 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 24 10:14 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 24 10:08 PM
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Thu
- Angels non-tender Hanson, Williams Tue
- Royals do not tender contract to Getz Mon
- Royals extend GM Moore Nov 29
- Angels sign reliever Smith Nov 27
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Angels acquire Freese from Cardinals Nov 22
- Royals add Vargas to rotation Nov 21
- Royals release P Mendoza Nov 11
- DiSarcina returns to Halos as third base coach Nov 5
- Santana gets offer from Royals Nov 4
- Royals exercise 2014 club option on P Shields Oct 31