Struggling Lowe leads Tribe into Kansas CityJul 31, 2012 - 2:35 PM
Lowe lost for the sixth time in seven decisions on Wednesday, as the Detroit Tigers battered him for five runs (4 earned) and eight hits in six innings to drop him to 8-9, while raising his ERA to 5.09.
Over his past 11 turns, Lowe has gone 2-7 with an 8.07 ERA, giving up 52 earned runs on 83 hits across 58 innings in that span.
"I've played this game too long to be searching," Lowe said. "I've struggled numerous times in my career. I guess it affects you because you're not pitching the way you'd like, but by no means do you go out there and think you're not going to get the job done.
"I've been fortunate to play 16 years, and I've struggled at times. I'm in a little funk, and you just keep pitching and keep plugging away."
Lowe beat the Royals earlier in the year as part of a 6-1 start to the season, but is 5-5 lifetime against them with a 4.52 ERA in 24 games (11 starts).
Cleveland continued to struggle this past weekend, as it was swept in a three- game set by the Minnesota Twins and has fallen five games off the pace in the American League Central.
"It's very disappointing: the way we played in this series, after such a great series we had at home," said Indians manager Manny Acta. "We understand that every day is a new day and every day is a challenge, but we weren't even a challenge to the Twins in this series."
The Indians have lost eight of their last 11 overall.
Kansas City, meanwhile, also enters this series on the heels of being swept. The Royals lost all four games of their set in Seattle and have lost five in a row and seven of their last eight.
Tonight, they turn to righty Luke Hochevar, who was atrocious in losing to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Wednesday. Hochevar was hammered for eight runs (6 earned) in just three innings to fall to 6-9 on the year to go along with a 5.26 ERA.
"I was bad," said Hochevar, who had allowed more than three runs just once in his previous seven outings.
Hochevar has faced the Indians 13 times and is 5-8 with a 5.57 ERA against them.
Cleveland has won five of nine from the Royals this season.
- CLEVELAND: 3
KANSAS CITY: 8
Jul 31 10:57 PM
- Alcides Escobar triple to right scored Alex Gordon with two out. Runner on third and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Indians 3, Royals 8 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 31 9:20 PM
- Alex Gordon double to right scored Chris Getz with two out. Runner on second and Alcides Escobar due up.
Indians 3, Royals 7 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 31 9:18 PM
- Chris Getz double to right scored Salvador Perez and Eric Hosmer with one out. Runner on second and Jarrod Dyson due up.
Indians 3, Royals 6 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 31 9:15 PM
- Billy Butler scored on a balk by Derek Lowe with one out. Eric Hosmer advances to second and Salvador Perez advances to third on a balk. . Runners on second and third and Chris Getz at the plate.
Indians 3, Royals 4 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 31 9:14 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera scored on a wild pitch by Luke Hockevar with one out. None on and Michael Brantley at the plate.
Indians 3, Royals 3 Top 3, 1 OutJul 31 9:00 PM
- Alcides Escobar single to right scored Chris Getz and Jarrod Dyson with two out. On the play, Alex Gordon advances to second. Runners on first and second and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Indians 2, Royals 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 31 8:50 PM
- Casey Kotchman single to right scored Carlos Santana with one out. On the play, Johnny Damon advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jack Hannahan due up.
Indians 2, Royals 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 31 8:35 PM
- Johnny Damon single to first scored Michael Brantley with one out. On the play, Carlos Santana advances to third. Runners on first and third and Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 1, Royals 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 31 8:33 PM
- Lorenzo Cain single to center scored Alex Gordon with one out. Runner on first and Billy Butler due up.
Indians 0, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 31 8:21 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 8:10 PM
- Tigers whip Tribe as Scherzer remains unbeaten 1:59a
- Royals rally past Astros 12:11a
- Sizzling Indians open quick set versus Tigers 10:42a
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park 10:37a
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals Tue
- Indians win in extras to sweep Mariners Mon
- Indians' Masterson named AL Player of the Week Mon
- Royals' Guthrie tries to rebound vs. Astros Mon
- Indians eye rare four-game sweep of Mariners Mon
- Cespedes' homer pushes A's past Royals Sun
- Masterson, Brantley help Tribe blank Mariners Sun
- A's hope to complete sweep of Royals Sun