Oakland's Milone battles Rays' ShieldsJul 31, 2012 - 2:36 PM
Milone has been terrific in front of his home fans this season, going 5-1 with a major league-best 0.91 ERA over eight starts, while holding opposing batters to a .184 average.
The road, though, has been a different story and that was evident on Thursday in Toronto, as he surrendered six runs (5 earned) and eight hits in seven innings to fall to 9-7 on the season to go along with a 3.51 ERA. He has pitched to a 5.77 ERA away from home this season.
"You just push this one aside," Milone said after the game, "and keep playing the way we've been playing."
Milone beat the Rays earlier in the year in his only other meeting against them, but was not sharp in surrendering five runs in five innings.
Opposing him will be righty James Shields, whose name has been bandied about in trade rumors, but seems to be staying put. At least for the time being.
Shields lost his second straight decision on Thursday in Baltimore, as he allowed five runs and six hits in six innings to fall to 8-7 on the year, while raising his ERA to 4.52. He did strike out 10 batters for the second straight start.
The 30-year-old righty has faced Oakland 11 times and is 4-3 with a 4.58 ERA against them.
"Oakland's a good team. They've done really well since the All-Star break," Shields said. "They're making a push just as much as we are."
Oakland continued to roll in Monday's opener, but needed some extra time to do it, as Jemile Weeks' sacrifice fly in the 15th inning carried the A's to a 4-3 win.
Brandon Inge led off the frame with a single off of Kyle Farnsworth (0-3) and moved to second on a sac bunt from Kurt Suzuki. Seth Smith was then issued an intentional pass and Eric Sogard worked a walk before Weeks lifted a fly ball to right-center that was caught, but Inge easily beat the throw home for the win.
Brandon Hicks hit a solo home run while Chris Carter and Suzuki each drove in a run for the Athletics, who improved to 19-4 this month - their best record in July in franchise history.
Jordan Norberto (3-1) got the win for pitching a scoreless 15th for Oakland, which nailed down its MLB-best 12th walkoff win.
Carlos Pena drove in two runs while Matt Joyce had a solo homer for the Rays, who had won their previous two games.
Oakland took two of three from the Rays earlier in the year.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Aug 1 12:45 AM
- B.J. Upton reached first on a fielder's choice, short to second that scored Jose Lobaton with one out. Desmond Jennings out at second as Sam Fuld advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 8, Athletics 0 Top 9, 1 OutAug 1 12:35 AM
- Desmond Jennings single to left scored Matt Joyce with none out. On the play, Sam Fuld advanced to second and Jose Lobaton advanced to third. Bases loaded and B.J. Upton due up.
Rays 7, Athletics 0 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 1 12:30 AM
- B.J. Upton reached first on Brandon Hicks' fielding error that scored Desmond Jennings with two out. Runner on first and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 6, Athletics 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 31 11:56 PM
- Sean Rodriguez single to center scored Jeff Keppinger with one out. Runner on first and Matt Joyce due up.
Rays 5, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 11:36 PM
- Carlos Pena sacrifice fly out to center scored Ben Zobrist with one out. On the play, Jeff Keppinger advanced to second. Runner on second and Sean Rodriguez due up.
Rays 4, Athletics 0 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 11:33 PM
- Jeff Keppinger single to left scored B.J. Upton with none out. On the play, Ben Zobrist advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Carlos Pena due up.
Rays 3, Athletics 0 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 31 11:30 PM
- Ben Zobrist ground out second to first scored Desmond Jennings with two out. On the play, B.J. Upton advanced to third. Runner on third and Jeff Keppinger due up.
Rays 2, Athletics 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 31 10:49 PM
- B.J. Upton single to left scored Sam Fuld with one out. On the play, Desmond Jennings advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Ben Zobrist due up.
Rays 1, Athletics 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 31 10:46 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jul 31 10:10 PM
- A's ship Blevins to Washington 2:33p
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's Tue
- Rays re-sign Oviedo for $1.5 million Dec 5
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Dec 3
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, P Bell in 3-team deal Dec 3
- Rangers, A's complete four-player trade Dec 3
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Rays reach 2-year deal with C Molina Dec 2
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Mets add OF Young Nov 22