Howard helps surprising Phils down D-backs in 9thAug 6, 2012 - 12:40 AM
Howard snapped an 0-for-9 slump early in the game and delivered the bases- loaded single, which scored Juan Pierre.
After becoming baseball's biggest seller at the July 31 trade deadline, the Phillies took their second straight series.
"Those are character builders," Howard said. "We just want to continue to keep a good character on the team and keep good chemistry."
Chase Utley homered for the Phillies, who have taken four of their last six games overall.
Mother Nature did not cooperate with Cliff Lee, who was tagged for three home runs on a blustery day at Citizens Bank Park. When Lee kept the ball in the park, he was strong. He gave up four runs on eight hits in eight innings, while striking out five without issuing a walk.
Trevor Cahill used a steady stream of sinkers to contain the Phillies' hitters, but took a no decision after holding Philadelphia to three runs on six hits in seven frames. He fanned six and walked two.
Chris Johnson, Stephen Drew and Paul Goldschmidt homered for the Diamondbacks, who lost their second straight game.
The Phillies trailed for most of the game but tied the game in the eighth inning. John Mayberry Jr. delivered a two-out infield single. After Mayberry advanced to second on a wild pitch, Domonic Brown smoked a liner off pitcher David Hernandez. Hernandez made an underhand attempt to retire Brown, but hit him in the back with the toss. The error allowed Mayberry to race home, just avoiding Henry Blanco's tag to tie the game.
After Jonathan Papelbon (3-4) worked a scoreless ninth, Pierre started the bottom half of the frame with a base hit up the middle. Pierre advanced to second on a sacrifice and to third when pinch-hitter Laynce Nix blooped a single in and out of Justin Upton's glove, as Upton made a lunging attempt at the ball. Josh Collmenter (3-3) intentionally walked Utley, but Howard lined a single to right, scoring Pierre and giving the Phillies the win.
"It's tough," Upton said. "We think we played well enough to win it, but sometimes it doesn't go your way."
The Diamondbacks got on the board in the second inning. After Upton singled, Johnson crushed a no-doubt home run down the left-field line to spot the Diamondbacks a 2-0 lead.
Drew made it back-to-back home runs when he sent a fly ball to straightaway center field and the wind carried it just over the fence, giving Arizona a 3-0 lead.
The Phillies got two back in the bottom half of the second. Brown sliced a double to the left-field gap, moving Mayberry to third. Cahill uncorked a wild pitch that allowed Mayberry to score before Erik Kratz brought Philadelphia within one with a line drive to the left-field corner.
Utley tied the game at three in the fifth when he launched a sinker into the right-field seats, but Arizona quickly got the run back in the sixth when Goldschmidt lofted a fly ball that carried over the right-field fence, making the score 4-3.
Blanco left the game due to injury following Brown's single in the eighth inning. He was replaced by Miguel Montero...Hernandez left the game due to an apparent injury in the eighth inning...Lee is winless at home...Philadelphia has not lost a series against Arizona at home since May 2007...Chris Young moved into second place in Diamondbacks history in games played with 850...Goldschmidt is second in the National League with 10 home runs against left-handed pitchers...In their last six games, 21 of Arizona's 27 runs have come via home runs...The Phillies have won 11 of their last 13 against Arizona...Philadelphia won consecutive series for the fourth time this season...The Phillies moved into fourth place for the first time since June 27.
- ARIZONA: 4
Aug 5 4:40 PM
- Ryan Howard single to right scored Juan Pierre with one out to end the game.
Diamondbacks 4, Phillies 5 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 5 4:40 PM
- Domonic Brown infield single to pitcher. On the play, John Mayberry scored on David Hernandez's throwing error with two out. Runner on first and Erik Kratz due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Phillies 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 5 3:59 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt lead-off Home Run (16) to right. Justin Upton due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Phillies 3 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 5 3:06 PM
- Chase Utley one-out, solo Home Run (7) to right. Ryan Howard due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Phillies 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 5 3:01 PM
- Erik Kratz double to left scored Domonic Brown with one out. Runner on second and Michael Martinez due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Phillies 2 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 5 2:17 PM
- Stephen Drew none-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Henry Blanco due up.
Diamondbacks 3, Phillies 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 5 1:56 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 5 1:39 PM
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Stretching the Field: Displeasure settling in for Hamels Tue
- Phils put Ruiz on DL Tue
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Ruggiano helps Marlins down Phillies Tue