Rockies blank DodgersAug 7, 2012 - 6:26 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Even after fanning seven over four scoreless frames, Colorado manager Jim Tracy stuck to his 75 pitch-limit game plan and removed Drew Pomeranz from the contest.
But the Rockie relievers picked up right where Pomeranz left off and helped Colorado blank the Los Angeles Dodgers, 2-0, in the opener of a three-game set.
Pomeranz threw 84 pitches, scattered three hits and walked three, Adam Ottavino (3-1) allowed just a hit over three shutout frames, Matt Belisle gave up a hit and a walk in a scoreless eighth and Rafael Betancourt fired a 1-2-3 ninth to notch his 18th save of the year.
"I was very pleased with the way we pitched throughout the game. Drew had explosive velocity, I wish he could've gone further," said Tracy.
It was just Colorado's second shutout this season.
Eric Young Jr. had three hits and scored both runs for the Rockies, who had lost 16 of their last 20 games coming in.
Chris Capuano (10-8) struck out six and was charged with two runs on nine hits and a walk in seven innings for the Dodgers, who had their three-game winning streak snapped. He's 3-7 over his last 13 starts since beginning the year 7-1.
The Rockies plated a run in the first and added another in the third for the game's only runs. Young led off the contest with a single and moved to third two batters later on Jordan Pacheco's base hit. He came home on Carlos Gonzalez's sacrifice fly to left.
Three straight one-out singles by Young, Dexter Fowler and Pacheco in the third gave Colorado a 2-0 lead.
The Dodgers' best opportunity to score came in the seventh following a disputed hit.
A.J. Ellis reached with one out after Matt McBride committed a fielding error at first. Two batters later with two away, Shane Victorino lined one to center. Dexter Fowler charged and appeared to make a sliding catch, but the umpire ruled that the ball was trapped. Jim Tracy came out to argue and was subsequently ejected.
"I'm a tolerant guy, but there's a limit to everything," said Tracy. "I think he caught the ball, what I saw from the dugout it was a catch."
"I caught it 100%, no doubt," Fowler said.
Mark Ellis lifted a long fly ball to left-center, but it was tracked down by Gonzalez along the warning track, ending the frame.
It was the 10th time this season that Los Angeles has been shut out...The Dodgers were 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base, while Colorado finished 1-for-5 with RISP and stranded eight.
- COLORADO: 2
LOS ANGELES: 0
Aug 7 1:34 AM
- Carlos Gonzalez intentionally walked. Bases loaded with one out and Ramon Hernandez due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 6 11:06 PM
- Ramon Hernandez flied out to center to end the inning.
Rockies 1, Dodgers 0 Mid 1Aug 6 10:22 PM
- COLORADO: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 6 10:11 PM
- Rockies send Rutledge to Triple-A 11:04p
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again 8:45p
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale 5:37p
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon
- Dodgers activate Lilly from DL Mon