Dodgers hold off Rockies, avoid sweepAug 9, 2012 - 5:52 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Matt Kemp hit a three-run homer, Shane Victorino scored three times, and the Dodgers avoided a sweep with a 6-4 win over the Rockies on Wednesday.
Kemp went 3-for-4 while Victorino also had three hits and added an RBI for the Dodgers, who concluded a 4-5 homestand. They trail the NL West-leading Giants by 1 1/2 games.
Chad Billingsley (8-9) won his fourth straight start, allowing four runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
"My command wasn't quite there but I was able to make quality pitches," said Billinglsey. "Our offense played great tonight."
DJ LeMahieu went 2-for-4 and tied the game with a fourth-inning RBI single, but Carlos Torres (1-1) issued a bases-loaded walk to Hanley Ramirez in the fifth, putting Los Angeles on top for good.
Jeff Francis gave up three runs on four hits with two walks and two strikeouts in a four-inning start for the Rockies, who won the first two games of this series and were looking for their first road sweep of the season.
Eric Young began the game with an inside-the-park homer -- the 13th in Colorado history. He belted a long fly off the wall in center field and scored when the ball caromed past a pursuing Kemp.
"The last time I saw the ball was when Kemp missed it," said Young. "I looked a the third base coach and he was waving me in. Then I thought, 'We're going for the whole thing? OK.' And I made the best of it."
Dexter Fowler followed with a one-out double and Tyler Colvin drove him in with an RBI single later in the frame for a 2-0 lead, which proved short-lived.
Victorino led off the bottom half with a single and Mark Ellis walked before Kemp blasted his 17th homer of the season into the seats in left-center. He has five home runs and 16 RBI in 24 games since returning from the DL on July 13.
Jordan Pacheco doubled and scored the tying run on LeMahieu's fourth-inning line drive, but Torres faltered in the fifth.
A Victorino single, a walk to Ellis and an infield hit by Kemp loaded the bags before four straight balls to Hanley Ramirez made it 4-3.
Torres temporarily prevented further damage, lining out Andre Ethier and inducing a 5-4-3 double play, before allowing RBI singles to Victorino and Ellis an inning later.
Victorino's base hit scored Matt Treanor, whose wife Misty May-Treanor, along with teammate Kerri Walsh, picked up a third consecutive gold medal in women's Olympic beach volleyball on Wednesday.
Ronald Belisario relieved Billingsley with two aboard in the seventh and gave up a run base hit before escaping.
He also tossed a scoreless eighth and Kenley Jansen faced the minimum in the ninth for his 22nd save of the year.
Colorado recorded its first series win since taking two of three from the Nationals in early July...The Rockies were looking for their first road sweep since taking four games from the Mets at Citi Field in April of 2011.
- COLORADO: 4
LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 9 1:06 AM
- Eric Young Jr. singled to right. On the play, Chris Nelson advances to second and DJ LeMahieu scored on Andre Ethier's fielding error with one out. Runners on first and second and Josh Rutledge due up.
Rockies 4, Dodgers 6 Top 7, 1 OutAug 9 12:34 AM
- Mark Ellis singled to right center scored Shane Victorino. Runner on first with two outs and Matt Kemp due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 9 12:19 AM
- Shane Victorino singled to center scored Matt Treanor. Runner on first with two outs and Mark Ellis due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 9 12:13 AM
- Hanley Ramirez's none out, bases loaded walke scored Shane Victorino. Bases loaded with none out and Andre Ethier due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 8 11:55 PM
- DJ LeMahieu singled to left center scored Jordan Pacheco. Runner on first with two outs and Jeff Francis due up.
Rockies 3, Dodgers 3 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 8 11:25 PM
- Matt Kemp none-out, three-run Home Run (17) to left scored Shane Victorino and Mark Ellis. Hanley Ramirez due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 8 10:32 PM
- Tyler Colvin single to right scored Dexter Fowler with two out. On the play, Wilin Rosario out at second. Runner on first and Jordan Pacheco due up.
Rockies 2, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 8 10:20 PM
- COLORADO: 1
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 8 10:15 PM
- Jays shoot for seventh straight victory and series win over Rockies 10:49a
- Mattingly leads Dodgers into the Bronx 10:32a
- Izturis helps Blue Jays overcome Rockies 2:01a
- Rockies' Gonzalez named NL Player of the Week Mon
- Johnson hopes to get off the schneid against Rockies Mon
- Alvarez helps Pirates down Dodgers Sun
- Chacin keeps Phillies in check, Rockies take rubber match Sun
- Hamels tries to secure another win in finale with Rockies Sun
- Greinke returns to hill for Dodgers' finale with Pirates Sun
- Dodgers top Pirates in 11-inning thriller Sat
- Colvin helps Rockies down Phillies Sat
- Phils' Pettibone seeks to get on track vs. Rockies Sat