Butler just misses out on cycle, Royals rout OriolesAug 10, 2012 - 4:25 AM
Butler hit a three-run blast as a part of a four-run first inning and finished a single short of the cycle as the Royals cruised to their third straight win.
Will Smith (3-4) held the early lead and limited Baltimore to two runs on six hits in seven innings.
The Royals crushed Wei-Yin Chen (10-7), who had entered Thursday's game with a 1.95 earned run average since the All-Star break, for seven runs on nine hits in 4 2/3 innings.
Much of the focus on the night was on infielder Manny Machado, who made his major league debut at third base and batting ninth for the Orioles. The 20- year-old picked up his first two career hits and scored a run for the O's, who saw their five-game win streak snapped.
"It would've been way better if we would have come out with the win," Machado said of his debut.
Alex Gordon started the game with his third lead-off home run of the season. After Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain singled, Butler belted a three-run blast to left field to give the Royals a four-run lead.
"There had been some games here recently where we had gotten some runners on in the first inning and hadn't really capitalized on it and we did today," said Butler.
Butler started a rally in the third inning with a one-out double. After Salvador Perez grounded out, Mike Moustakas and Jeff Francoeur came through with back-to-back doubles to expand Kansas City's lead to six.
The Royals put another run on the board in the fifth after Butler picked up his first triple since 2009. He scored on Perez's sacrifice fly to make the score 7-0.
Butler struck out in the seventh and ninth innings.
Machado gave the home crowd something to cheer about in the bottom half of the fifth inning. After he grounded out in his first major league at-bat in the second, Machado laced a triple to right-center field in his second plate appearance. He later scored on Nick Markakis' sacrifice fly.
Gordon doubled then scored on an Escobar base hit in the sixth before Matt Wieters socked an opposite-field home run in the bottom half of the frame to cap the scoring.
Aaron Crow and Jeremy Jeffress combined to toss a pair of hitless frames to seal the win.
Machado became the first Oriole to debut before his 21st birthday since Hayden Penn in 2005 and the first position player since Eugene Kingsdale in 1996...Butler homered off Chen for the second time this season...Kansas City went 4-for-7 with runners in scoring position and Baltimore went 0-for-3.
- KANSAS CITY: 8
Aug 9 9:49 PM
- Lew Ford grounded out third to first. None on with one out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Royals 8, Orioles 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 9 8:58 PM
- Alcides Escobar single to center scored Alex Gordon. Runner on first with two out and Lorenzo Cain due up.
Royals 8, Orioles 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 9 8:53 PM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly to left scored Manny Machado. None on with one out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Royals 7, Orioles 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 9 8:43 PM
- Salvador Perez sacrifice fly to center scored Billy Butler. None on with two out and Mike Moustakas due up.
Royals 7, Orioles 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:33 PM
- Jeff Francoeur double to right scored Mike Moustakas. Runner on second with two out and Eric Hosmer due up.
Royals 6, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 9 8:00 PM
- Mike Moustakas double to right scored Billy Butler. Runner on second with two out and Jeff Francoeur due up.
Royals 5, Orioles 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 9 7:59 PM
- Billy Butler none-out, three-run Home Run (23) to left scored Alcides Escobar and Lorenzo Cain. Salvador Perez due up.
Royals 4, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:14 PM
- Alex Gordon lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Alcides Escobar due up.
Royals 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 9 7:10 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:09 PM
- O's summon Britton for Tuesday start 5:26p
- Royals hope to move above .500 against Tribe 11:14a
- Tigers ace Verlander toes rubber versus Orioles 11:01a
- Royals edge Indians thanks to wild pitch 2:24a
- Scherzer remains unbeaten, Tigers down O's Mon
- Royals rely on Shields in opener against Tribe Mon
- Scherzer aims for 10-0 start in opener with O's Mon
- Surging Royals down Rays Sun
- Orioles take series from Red Sox Sun
- Rays eye split with Royals Sun
- Red Sox try to secure split of 4-game set with O's Sun
- Rays down surging Royals Sat