Kershaw goes for Dodgers in MiamiAug 10, 2012 - 3:08 PM (Sports Network) - Reigning National League Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw can reach double-digit wins for the third straight season tonight when the Los Angeles Dodgers head to Miami to open a three-game series with the Marlins at Marlins Park.
Kershaw, who was 21-5 with a stingy 2.28 earned run average in 33 starts for the Dodgers en route to the postseason honors in 2011, has won two straight to get to nine wins in the follow-up season, including a 3-1 defeat of the Chicago Cubs on Aug. 4.
In that game, the 24-year-old Dallas native allowed three hits and a run in seven innings. One start before, he went the nine-inning distance in a 4-0 win at San Francisco, allowing five hits and walking one while recording seven strikeouts.
The southpaw's last loss came back on July 24 in St. Louis, when he was touched for right runs on seven hits and three walks in 5 2/3 innings of an 8-2 loss.
Kershaw last faced the Marlins on May 29, 2011 and was an 8-0 winner after again going the distance and striking out 10 while walking one and allowing just two hits.
He's opposed by fellow southpaw Mark Buehrle, who's failed in four straight attempts to reach double-digit wins for the 12th consecutive season.
The 33-year-old improved to 9-8 on the season with a 2-1 defeat of Washington on July 14, but has since gone 0-2 with a pair of no-decisions in four starts - all Marlins losses.
He gave up four runs on seven hits in six innings of his most recent outing, a 10-7 Miami loss at Washington.
Buehrle is 3-1 in four lifetime starts against the Dodgers while with the Chicago White Sox, posting a 1.50 earned run average across 30 full innings.
On Thursday in New York, R.A. Dickey went the distance and Andres Torres fell a single shy of the cycle as the Mets avoided a sweep with a 6-1 decision over Miami in the finale of a three-game set.
Justin Ruggiano's solo homer was the lone output for the Marlins. Jose Reyes saw his 26-game hit streak come to an end after an 0-for-4 performance as Miami completed an 11-game road trip with a 4-7 record.
"Jose, he had a great run. Hopefully he makes another one happen pretty soon," Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen said.
Josh Johnson (7-8) took the loss, charged with eight hits and three runs over six full frames.
On Wednesday in Los Angeles, Matt Kemp hit a three-run homer, Shane Victorino scored three times, and the Dodgers avoided a sweep with a 6-4 win over the Colorado Rockies.
Kemp went 3-for-4 while Victorino also had three hits and added an RBI for the Dodgers, who concluded a 4-5 homestand. They trail the NL West-leading Giants by 1 1/2 games.
Chad Billingsley (8-9) won his fourth straight start, allowing four runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings. He walked two and struck out five.
"My command wasn't quite there but I was able to make quality pitches," Billingsley said. "Our offense played great tonight."
This is the first series of 2012 between the teams, which split six meetings last season. The Marlins won four of six games against the Dodgers in 2010.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 10 10:13 PM
- Hanley Ramirez singled to catcher scored A.J. Ellis. On the play, Matt Kemp advances to second and Clayton Kershaw advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Marlins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 10 9:06 PM
- Carlos Lee sacrifice fly out to center scored Gorkys Hernandez. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 10 8:49 PM
- Juan Rivera two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Hanley Ramirez. Jerry Hairston Jr. due up.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 8:33 PM
- Andre Ethier struck out swinging. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Rivera due up.
Dodgers 2, Marlins 1 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 10 8:32 PM
- Matt Kemp doubled to left scored Shane Victorino. Runner on second with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 1 Top 6, 1 OutAug 10 8:26 PM
- Justin Ruggiano one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left center. Carlos Lee due up.
Dodgers 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 10 7:22 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 10 7:12 PM
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 3:10a
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers 1:48a
- Dodgers return home to face Cards 10:24a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue