Royals, O's eye series win at Camden YardsAug 12, 2012 - 2:44 PM
The Royals smashed four home runs on the evening, with Alex Gordon belting two, his eighth and ninth of the year. Billy Butler added his team-leading 24th long ball and Salvador Perez connected on his eighth round tripper.
Luis Mendoza (6-8) headed into the seventh inning with a shutout still intact, but fell apart in the frame and left without recording an out. Still, he did enough to earn the win, allowing seven hits, two walks, and three earned runs in six innings of work.
Kelvin Herrera and Tim Collins combined for three scoreless innings out of the bullpen to shut the game down.
For the Orioles, Chris Tillman (5-2) was touched for his worst start of the season, allowing six hits and six earned runs in 5 2/3 innings. Despite the hiccup, Tillman still sits with a respectable 3.40 ERA.
Manny Machado roped an RBI double in the seventh inning to continue his torrid start to the season. He's now 5-for-12 with a double, triple, and two homers in his first three major league games.
The Royals will send Bruce Chen to the mound in the rubber match on Sunday afternoon. Despite being a mainstay in Kansas City's rotation this year (24 starts), Chen has been largely disappointing with a 8-9 record and a 5.51 ERA.
After allowing four earned runs or more in five of his previous seven starts, Chen settled in with one of his better starts of the season on Aug. 7, allowing seven hits and two earned runs over 6 2/3 innings in a 5-2 win over the White Sox.
The former Oriole has not had much success against his old team in his career, going 2-2 with a 5.26 ERA in five starts, allowing 34 hits and 13 walks over just 25 2/3 innings.
The Orioles will answer with Tommy Hunter, who sports a 4-7 record with a 5.55 ERA.
Hunter was the hard-luck loser his last time out, allowing just two earned runs over 5 2/3 innings in a 2-0 loss to the Rays on Aug. 3.
The 26-year-old right-hander has shown some success over the Royals in his young career, going 1-0 with a 3.29 ERA over 13 2/3 innings.
Baltimore has split its eight meetings with the Royals this season.
- KANSAS CITY: 3
Aug 12 4:26 PM
- Nate McLouth scored on a wild pitch. Adam Jones advances to third. Runner on third with one out and Mark Reynolds at the plate.
Royals 3, Orioles 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 12 4:15 PM
- Troy Patton starts the inning for the Orioles.
Royals 3, Orioles 4 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 12 3:41 PM
- Nick Markakis two-out, solo Home Run (13) to right. J.J. Hardy due up.
Royals 3, Orioles 3 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 3:08 PM
- Mike Moustakas grounded into a double play, second to short to first, scored Alex Gordon. Alcides Escobar out at second. None on with two outs and Billy Butler due up.
Royals 3, Orioles 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 12 2:59 PM
- Brayan Pena sacrifice fly out to left scored Billy Butler. On the play, Eric Hosmer advances to second and Jeff Francoeur advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Chris Getz due up.
Royals 2, Orioles 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 12 2:47 PM
- Mike Moustakas lead-off Home Run (18) to right. Billy Butler due up.
Royals 1, Orioles 2 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 12 2:33 PM
- Manny Machado none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Mark Reynolds. Robert Andino due up.
Royals 0, Orioles 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 12 2:15 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:38 PM
- Orioles, Webb agree on 2-year deal 7:16p
- Orioles sign Peguero Sat
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Royals do not tender contract to Getz Dec 2
- Royals extend GM Moore Nov 29
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Orioles claim INF Phelps off waivers Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Royals add Vargas to rotation Nov 21
- O's sign reliever Escalona Nov 20
- Royals release P Mendoza Nov 11