Dodgers take aim at top spot in NL West in MiamiAug 12, 2012 - 2:59 PM (Sports Network) - Veteran lefty Chris Capuano will try to pitch the Los Angeles Dodgers back into first place on Sunday, when they visit the Miami Marlins for the finale of a three-game weekend series at Marlins Park.
The Dodgers entered Saturday's middle game in a tie with the San Francisco Giants atop the National League's West Division, but fell a game back when they lost to Miami, 7-3.
Meanwhile, San Francisco beat Colorado, 9-3.
In Miami, Justin Ruggiano capped a four-run fifth inning with an RBI single and Carlos Lee had two RBI and a run scored for the Marlins, who bounced back from a 5-2 loss in the series opener on Friday.
Donovan Solano, Nick Green, John Buck and Gorkys Hernandez each drove in a run.
Miami starter Ricky Nolasco (9-11) gave up two runs on nine hits over five innings to pick up the win.
Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Shane Victorino had an RBI apiece for the Dodgers.
Joe Blanton (8-10), making his second start for Los Angeles, allowed four runs on six hits over five innings to take the loss.
"It just kind of happened, and it happened quick," said Blanton, who had a one-hitter through 4 1/3 innings.
Capuano, who'll turn 34 next week, was an 18-game winner for the Milwaukee Brewers in 2005, but stumbled to 11 wins the following season and won just nine more times through the end of 2010.
He resurrected his career with the New York Mets and won 11 times for them in 2011, then signed a three-year deal with the Dodgers in the offseason that could pay him as much as $15 million.
The Massachusetts native was 9-2 after a June 23 defeat of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim but has won just once in eight starts since - an 8-5 defeat of the Mets on July 21 in which he allowed three runs in seven innings.
In three starts since that triumph he's taken three more losses while allowing 26 hits and 13 runs in 17 1/3 innings, swelling his earned run average from 2.81 to 3.29.
Miami replies with fellow lefty Wade Leblanc, who makes his third start of August after beginning the season with 11 consecutive bullpen appearances in July.
The Louisiana native was 1-1 with a hold and a 1.15 ERA in 15 2/3 innings of relief work, holding his opponents to zero runs in nine of 11 games.
He debuted as a starter in 2012 on Aug. 1 and pitched 4 1/3 innings of one-run ball in Miami's 4-2 victory. He followed up with a four-inning stint against the Mets on Aug. 7 and allowed another run in four innings of another 4-2 Marlins triumph.
Leblanc started 14 games for the San Diego Padres in 2011 and had a 5-6 record with a 4.63 ERA in 79 2/3 innings.
He's 1-6 in eight career starts against the Dodgers.
This is the first series of 2012 between the teams, which split six meetings last season. The Marlins won four of six games against the Dodgers in 2010.
- LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 12 3:55 PM
- Matt Treanor grounded into a fielder's choice. On the play, Luis Cruz out at third to end the inning.
Dodgers 5, Marlins 0 Mid 8Aug 12 3:23 PM
- Chris Hatcher enters the game for the Marlins with a runner on first and one out.
Dodgers 4, Marlins 0 Top 8, 1 OutAug 12 3:17 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to left scored Mark Ellis and Matt Kemp with one out. Runner on second with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 3, Marlins 0 Top 8, 1 OutAug 12 3:12 PM
- Hanley Ramirez sacrifice fly to left scored Chris Capuano with two out. Runners on first and second with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 1, Marlins 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 12 1:55 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 12 1:15 PM
- Dodgers return home to face Cards 10:24a
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins 10:23a
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Dodgers batter Brewers in series finale Wed
- Ryu leads Dodgers into finale at Milwaukee Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Brewers down Dodgers Wed
- Phils take swings against young Fernandez Tue
- Greinke gets ball for Dodgers against Brewers Tue
- Ruggiano helps Marlins down Phillies Tue
- Kershaw's CG helps Dodgers edge Brewers Mon