Corbin helps D-backs down NatsAug 13, 2012 - 12:12 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Patrick Corbin shut down the Washington Nationals and their winning streak on Sunday, helping the Arizona Diamondbacks take the finale of a three-game set, 7-4.
After tossing six scoreless innings, Corbin (4-4) gave up two runs in the seventh. The rookie limited Washington to four hits and struck out seven in a career-best seven innings.
"I felt really good today coming in. I was able to keep the ball down, get ahead and throw my breaking ball and changeup when I wanted to," said Corbin. "I was able to get some easy outs that way."
Paul Goldschmidt knocked in three runs for the Diamondbacks, who had lost six of their previous eight games coming into Sunday.
Arizona chased Ross Detwiler (6-5) from the game in the fifth inning and tagged him for five runs -- four earned -- on three hits and a walk in 4 2/3 frames.
Ryan Zimmerman knocked in a run for the fourth straight game as the Nationals saw their eight-game win streak come to an end.
"We are going to lose just like every one else loses, but we won the series," said Zimmerman.
Zimmerman actually helped put the Diamondbacks on the board, though. His error put Goldschmidt on second base to start the second inning. Goldschmidt then stole third and scored on catcher Kurt Suzuki's throwing error to put Arizona up 1-0.
Detwiler gave up a one-out double to Chris Young and plunked Jason Kubel with two outs in the third inning before Goldschmidt lined a double into the left- field corner to plate two more.
Arizona broke the game open with four runs in the fifth. Aaron Hill launched a double into the left-field gap to score Young, who walked. Craig Stammen replaced Detwiler, but did not stop the bleeding. Goldschmidt singled up the middle to score Hill, Upton laced an RBI double into the left-field corner and Miguel Montero smoked a double into the right-field gap to open up a 7-0 lead.
Meanwhile, Corbin was cruising. He retired 16 straight hitters after a first- inning single before running into trouble in the seventh.
Danny Espinosa led off with a double before scoring on Zimmerman's base hit to left. After Michael Morse's single, Adam LaRoche brought pinch-runner Cesar Izturis home with a sacrifice fly to pull the Nationals within five.
After Matt Albers tossed a scoreless eighth, Takashi Saito surrendered two runs on a Jayson Werth groundout and a Tyler Moore single in the ninth. J.J. Putz came on to record the final two outs and convert his 13th straight save and 22nd of the season.
Morse went 2-for-4 and extended his hitting streak to 10 games...Corbin is 2-0 with a 1.89 earned run average and 19 strikeouts in three starts since being called up from Triple-A Reno (four earned runs in 19 innings)...Arizona is 11-5 in its last 16 home games...The Diamondbacks are 14-6 in their last 20 games against left-handed starting pitchers...Arizona has scored five or more runs 59 times, the most in the National League...Goldschmidt is hitting .370 (20-for-54) with four doubles and 14 RBI in his last 14 games.
- WASHINGTON: 4
Aug 12 7:02 PM
- Tyler Moore single to left scored Michael Morse with one out. Runner on first and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Nationals 4, Diamondbacks 7 Top 9, 1 OutAug 12 6:52 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jayson Werth grounded out third to first scored Cesar Izturis with one out. Runner on second and Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 3, Diamondbacks 7 Top 9, 1 OutAug 12 6:50 PM
- Adam LaRoche sacrifice fly to left scored pinch-runner Cesar Izturis with two out. Runner on first and Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 2, Diamondbacks 7 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 12 6:15 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman single to left scored Danny Espinosa with one out. Runner on first and Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 1, Diamondbacks 7 Top 7, 1 OutAug 12 6:11 PM
- Miguel Montero double to center scored Justin Upton with two out. Runner on second and Chris Johnson due up.
Nationals 0, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 5:46 PM
- Justin Upton double to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on second and Miguel Montero due up.
Nationals 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 5:45 PM
- Craig Stammen enters the game for the Nationals with a runner on second and two out, batting 9th.
Nationals 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 5:40 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt double to left scored Chris Young and Jason Kubel with two out. Runner on second and Justin Upton due up.
Nationals 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 12 5:04 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt stole third. On the play, Goldschmidt scored on Kurt Suzuki's throwing error. None on with none out and Justin Upton at the plate.
Nationals 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 12 4:36 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 4:20 PM
- Nationals reach deal with McLouth Fri
- Nats acquire Fister from Tigers Dec 2
- Diamondbacks name Harkey pitching coach Dec 2
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Nationals sign Young, Alfaro to minor league deals Nov 20
- Nationals officially name Matt Williams manager Oct 31
- Cabrera, Goldschmidt win Hank Aaron Award Oct 27
- Nats' Strasburg, Harper undergo surgeries Oct 26
- Matt Williams to become new Nationals manager Oct 25
- Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with P Reynolds Oct 15
- Diamondbacks bringing back Gibson Oct 8
- D-backs rally to end season with win over Nats Sep 29