Wilson tries to find win column in opener with IndiansAug 13, 2012 - 2:47 PM (Sports Network) - C.J. Wilson tries for his first win in nine starts this evening when the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim begin a three-game series with the Cleveland Indians at Angel Stadium.
Wilson lost on Tuesday in Oakland, as the Athletics reached him for six runs (3 earned) and nine hits in five innings, dropping him to 9-8, while raising his ERA to 3.34.
He's given up 14 runs (11 earned) in his last two starts, is winless in his last four decisions and hasn't won since beating the Baltimore Orioles back on June 26.
"It's just frustrating that we're in a pennant race and I haven't contributed to us winning any games recently," Wilson said.
Wilson has faced the Indians 22 times (4 starts) and is 2-1 against them with a 2.63 ERA.
Cleveland, meanwhile, will counter with right-handed sinkerball specialist Justin Masterson, who is 8-10 with a 4.68 ERA. Masterson stopped a personal two-game losing streak on Wednesday against Minnesota, as he allowed two runs and three hits in seven innings. He also struck out seven and walked four in the win.
Masterson is 2-0 in nine games (6 starts) against the Angels with a 2.38 ERA.
He will be trying to help the Tribe get back on track following a 14-1 rout at the hands of the Boston Red Sox on Sunday.
The Red Sox clobbered Corey Kluber (0-1), who surrendered six runs on seven hits in just 3 1/3 innings for the Indians. The Tribe fell to 3-2 on the heels of their 11-game losing streak.
"Kluber just didn't have command of his fastball ... everything was up," said Indians manager Manny Acta.
The Angels also enter on a sour note after dropping the final two games of their set with the Seattle Mariners, including a 4-1 loss on Sunday.
Jered Weaver (15-2) surrendered three runs on four hits and three walks with five strikeouts through seven innings to suffer his first loss since May 13. He had won his last nine starts and 10 consecutive decisions.
Vernon Wells brought home the lone run for the Angels, who have dropped eight of their last 11 and have slipped to third place in the AL West, eight games back of the Texas Rangers.
Cleveland has won four of six from the Angels this season.
- CLEVELAND: 6
LOS ANGELES: 2
Aug 14 1:20 AM
- Casey Kotchman scored on a wild pitch with two outs. Lou Marson advances to second on a wild pitch. Runner on second and Shin-Soo Choo at the plate.
Indians 6, Angels 2 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 1:05 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Kipnis sacrifice fly to center scored Brent Lillibridge with one out. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to third. Runners on first and third and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 5, Angels 2 Top 9, 1 OutAug 14 12:59 AM
- Lou Marson walk scored Ezequiel Carrera with none out. Bases loaded and Jason Donald due up.
Indians 4, Angels 2 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 14 12:57 AM
- Albert Pujols one-out, two-run Home Run (25) to left scored Mike Trout. Kendrys Morales due up.
Indians 3, Angels 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 14 12:38 AM
- Brent Lillibridge two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left center. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 3, Angels 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 13 11:16 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to right scored Lou Marson with one out. On the play, Jason Donald advances to second. Runners on first and second and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Indians 2, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 10:52 PM
- Jason Donald single to center scored Brent Lillibridge with one out. On the play, Lou Marson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 1, Angels 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 13 10:51 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 10:07 PM
- Indians activate Swisher from paternity list 4:41p
- Odd Man Rush: Time for the Angels to make their run 1:04p
- Angels shoot for sixth straight win in Kansas City 10:31a
- Masterson hopes to keep Indians rolling in Boston 10:31a
- Angels outlast Royals 12:06a
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston 11:12p
- Indians' Huff designated Thu
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Angels hope to remain hot in Kansas City Thu
- Tigers outlast Indians Thu
- Wilson leads surging Angels past sinking Mariners Thu
- Rounding Third: Don't buy into the Indians Wed