Royals edge A'sAug 16, 2012 - 2:55 AM
Will Smith (4-4) outdueled McCarthy, holding the A's to a pair of runs on five hits in seven innings to pick up his second straight win.
Chris Getz knocked in the winning run with his two-out double for the Royals, who have won the first two games of this three-game set.
McCarthy (6-4) had won his previous six decisions, spanning eight starts, but the right-hander took the loss after giving up three runs -- two earned -- and seven hits in 6 2/3 innings.
Josh Donaldson hit his second home run for Oakland, which has lost four of its last five games.
Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain delivered back-to-back, two-out doubles to tie the game at two and chase McCarthy in the seventh. Lefty Sean Doolittle came on to face Getz, but Getz capped off an 11-pitch at-bat by slicing a double just inside the left-field line to give Kansas City the lead.
Aaron Crow pitched a perfect eighth inning before Greg Holland worked around a leadoff single to nail down his fourth save of the season.
The Royals picked up an unearned run in the first inning. After Alex Gordon led off with a base hit, Alcides Escobar reached on a fielder's choice. Escobar stole second and took third when the throw deflected off him. Escobar scored on Billy Butler ground ball, easily beating Donaldson's throw home.
The A's tied the game in the second after Chris Carter led off with a double. He advanced to third on Donaldson's single and scored when Moss dropped a base hit into right field.
Donaldson crushed a towering fly ball just inside the left-field foul pole to give Oakland a 2-1 lead in the fourth.
Oakland outfielder Josh Reddick was scratched prior to the game because of complications from a tooth which was extracted on Monday ... The A's had won 11 of their previous 13 one-run games coming into Wednesday.
- OAKLAND: 2
KANSAS CITY: 3
Aug 15 10:47 PM
- Aaron Crow starts the inning for the Royals.
Athletics 2, Royals 3 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 15 10:17 PM
- Lorenzo Cain double to left scored Eric Hosmer with two outs. Runner on second and Chris Getz due up.
Athletics 2, Royals 2 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 15 10:03 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 2, Royals 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 15 9:04 PM
- Brandon Moss single to right scored Chris Carter with one out. On the play, Josh Donaldson advances to third. Runners on first and third and Adam Rosales due up.
Athletics 1, Royals 1 Top 2, 1 OutAug 15 8:37 PM
- Billy Butler ground into a fielder's choice scored Alcides Escobar with one out. Runner on first and Mike Moustakas due up.
Athletics 0, Royals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 15 8:26 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 8:11 PM
- Brantley powers Indians past Royals 12:01a
- Rangers knock around Milone, top A's 11:58p
- Athletics try to distance themselves from Rangers 2:15p
- Indians pin hopes on Masterson in finale with Royals 2:11p
- A's cruise past Rangers Wed
- Indians use three-run eighth to beat Royals Wed
- San Jose files lawsuit against MLB Wed
- Report: San Jose files lawsuit against MLB Tue
- Royals hope to move above .500 against Tribe Tue
- Darvish, Rangers resume set with A's Tue
- Royals edge Indians thanks to wild pitch Tue
- Cruz helps Rangers edge Athletics Tue