Perez sends Royals past Sale, White SoxAug 18, 2012 - 4:34 AM
Lorenzo Cain and Billy Butler homered for the Royals, who have won seven of their last 10 games.
Luis Mendoza (7-8) allowed four hits and a pair of runs while striking out six to win consecutive starts for the first time this season.
"He brought it tonight. He was sharp," Sale said of Mendoza. "He was good. I got outpitched straight up obviously. It was just bad. I've got to be better than that."
Paul Konerko returned from the 7-day disabled list with a homer, but the AL Central leaders had their three-game winning streak broken.
Sale (14-4) surrendered nine hits and four runs and also walked four batters over 6 2/3 innings.
"We had a couple of big hits off him," Butler said. "That's the bottom line. Sal (Salvador Perez) got the deciding hit with men in scoring position. That's when it counts."
The White Sox had runners at first and second with nobody out in the eighth, but Kelvin Herrera struck out pinch-hitter Dewayne Wise, Kevin Youkilis and Adam Dunn in succession.
Greg Holland ran into trouble in the ninth as A.J. Pierzynski doubled with two outs and Alexei Ramirez followed with an infield hit. Dayan Viciedo flied out to right field to end the game and give Holland his fifth save of the year.
Cain homered to left with one out in the second before Konerko, who had been sidelined since August 10 with a concussion, hit a ball over the wall in left field in the fourth inning.
Gordon Beckham's single to right in the next inning plated Alexei Ramirez, but Butler tied it with a homer in the sixth.
In the seventh, Mike Moustakas and Alicdes Escobar singled to put runners at the corners with one out. Escobar stole second before Butler was intentionally walked to load the bases prior to Perez's hit off the base of the wall in left field.
Chicago has lost seven of its last 10 games in Kansas City ... Youkilis went 0-for-3 and remains stuck on 999 career hits ... Royals second baseman Chris Getz left the game due to a broken left thumb after a pitch hit his hand on a bunt attempt in the fifth inning. He'll undergo season-ending surgery Saturday ... After the game Royals manager Ned Yost said they will recall Johnny Giavotella from the minors to play second base ... The White Sox also placed infielder Orlando Hudson on the 15-day disabled list with a contusion of the right metatarsal joint in his right foot and placed pitcher Leyson Septimo on the 15-day DL, retroactive to August 14, with left biceps inflammation and recalled pitcher Hector Santiago from Triple-A Charlotte.
- CHICAGO: 2
KANSAS CITY: 4
Aug 17 10:42 PM
- Salvador Perez double to left scored Mike Moustakas and Alcides Escobar. On the play, Billy Butler advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Lorenzo Cain due up.
White Sox 2, Royals 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 17 10:04 PM
- Billy Butler one-out, solo Home Run (25) to left. Salvador Perez due up.
White Sox 2, Royals 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 17 9:36 PM
- Gordon Beckham single to right scored Alexei Ramirez. On the play, Gordon Beckham out at second, Jeff Francoeur to Slavador Perez to Alcides Escobar, to end the inning.
White Sox 2, Royals 1 Mid 5Aug 17 9:19 PM
- Paul Konerko two-out, solo Home Run (19) to left. Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 1, Royals 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 17 9:00 PM
- Lorenzo Cain one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Jeff Francoeur due up.
White Sox 0, Royals 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 17 8:36 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
KANSAS CITY: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Aug 17 8:12 PM
- White Sox, Paulino agree to 1-year deal Mon
- ChiSox to add reliever Belisario Dec 5
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- Konerko inks deal to stay on the South Side Dec 4
- Royals do not tender contract to Getz Dec 2
- Royals extend GM Moore Nov 29
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Royals add Vargas to rotation Nov 21
- White Sox nab INF Elmore off waivers Nov 20
- Royals release P Mendoza Nov 11
- Santana gets offer from Royals Nov 4
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1