Cubs and Reds set to play twoAug 18, 2012 - 12:37 PM (Sports Network) - Johnny Cueto aims to tie the major league lead in wins this afternoon when the NL Central-leading Cincinnati Reds take on the Chicago Cubs in a day/night doubleheader from Great American Ball Park.
Already with a career-high 15 victories, Cueto is coming off a sparkling performance at Wrigley Field on Sunday when he limited the Cubs to three hits over eight shutout innings in a 3-0 win.
Cueto, who has won six of his last seven starts overall, is 8-1 with a 2.26 ERA in 10 home starts this season. Even more impressive is his mark in day games. The righty is 10-0 in 12 day contests and leads the NL with a 1.55 ERA in such games.
In two starts against the Cubs this season, he's 2-0 with a 0.63 ERA with both contests coming at Wrigley Field. Cueto is 6-6 with a 3.26 ERA in 16 career starts versus the Cubs.
Jeff Samardzija will counter for the Cubs in the afternoon game. The right- hander snapped a personal three-start winless streak on Monday by matching a career-high with 11 strikeouts over seven innings in a 7-1 win over the Houston Astros. His eight wins ties a career-high. This will be Samardzija's 16 career game and second start against the Reds.
Todd Redmond is slated for his major league debut in the nightcap for the Reds. The 27-year-old right-hander pitched for Triple-A Louisville on Sunday and suffered a 5-2 loss to Gwinnett after allowing five runs in the fourth inning, three on homers. Redmond was acquired from the Atlanta Braves on July 14 in the deal that sent infielder Paul Janish to the NL East club.
Brooks Raley gets his third career starting assignment in the night contest for the Cubs. The southpaw is coming off a loss to Cueto on Sunday. Raley allowed five hits and three runs over six innings.
Last night, Ryan Ludwick and rookie Todd Frazier both homered during a five- run fourth inning and the Reds won, 7-3.
Bronson Arroyo (9-7) got the win, giving up three runs on nine hit with three walks and three strikeouts over 6 1/3 innings. He also doubled and scored on Zack Cozart's Tobago in the fourth.
Jay Bruce added a solo homer and Drew Stubbs had an RBI triple for the NL Central-leading Reds, who took three of four games from the Cubs last weekend and are six games ahead of Pittsburgh for the division lead.
Travis Wood (4-9) dropped his career-high sixth straight decision, allowing seven runs -- six earned -- on nine hits over five innings. He did not issue a walk, struck out three, and added an RBI single.
Luis Valbuena hit a solo home run for the Cubs, who are just 3-13 in their last 16 games dating to July 31.
"We swung the bats well," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "Their pitchers made a couple nice plays to change a couple of innings around. Other than that, I was pretty happy the way we swung the bats. We just didn't get much to show for it."
The Reds are 7-3 versus Chicago this season.
- CHICAGO: 3
Aug 18 3:59 PM
- Welington Castillo singled to left scoring Alfonso Soriano. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brett Jackson due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 5 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 18 3:57 PM
- Todd Frazier sacrifice fly out to center scored Jay Bruce. None on with one out and Xavier Paul due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 5 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 18 3:36 PM
- Miguel Cairo one-out, solo Home Run (1) to left. Ryan Hanigan due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 4 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 18 2:17 PM
- Todd Frazier lead-off Home Run (17) to left. Xavier Paul due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 18 2:14 PM
- Xavier Paul none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Todd Frazier. Miguel Cairo due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 18 1:43 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (22) to left scored David DeJesus. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 18 1:19 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 1:11 PM
- Report: Cubs sign P Wright Thu
- Rays acquire C Hanigan, P Bell in 3-team deal Tue
- Reds bring back Parra Nov 27
- Cubs acquire Kottaras from Kansas City Nov 27
- Cubs name Mueller hitting coach Nov 22
- Reds agree to 2-year deal with C Pena Nov 12
- Cano, 12 others reject qualifying offers Nov 11
- Report: Reds ink C Pena Nov 8
- Cubs officially name Renteria new manager Nov 7
- Reports: Cubs to name Renteria new manager Nov 6
- Reds make offer to Choo Nov 4
- Cubs, White Sox minor leaguers suspended Nov 1