Cubs survive Reds' rallyAug 19, 2012 - 5:18 AM
"He came up huge again. We found a slot for him at cleanup...he cuts and slashes," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said of Castro.
Johnny Cueto led the Reds to a 5-3 decision in the opener, allowing two runs and three hits in eight innings for his National League-leading 16th win.
Bryan LaHair knocked in a pair of runs, while Brett Jackson and David DeJesus homered for the Cubs, who snapped a two-game slide.
Brooks Raley (1-2) allowed four runs -- three earned -- on five hits and two walks over 5 1/3 innings in the win.
Todd Redmond (0-1) made his first career start for the Reds and surrendered four runs on seven hits and five walks through 3 1/3 innings.
Ryan Ludwick hit two home runs and drove in three for Cincinnati, which had won seven of its last eight.
"It was a big game, Ryan's feeling it, he's swinging, he wants it," Reds manager Dusty Baker said.
Cincinnati entered the bottom of the sixth inning trailing, 8-2, but started to inch its way back as Todd Frazier hit an RBI single and Scott Rolen brought home a run with a double before Ludwick hit his second homer of the game, a two-run shot to right-center field, in the seventh to close the gap to two.
Miguel Cairo plated Jay Bruce with a pinch-hit triple to right in the eighth to make it a one-run game, but DeJesus gave the Cubs back a little cushion with a blast to right-center field in the ninth.
Carlos Marmol then took the mound for the home ninth and allowed a one-out single by Brandon Phillips to bring the tying run to the plate.
Phillips advanced no further, though, as Marmol fanned Ludwick and induced a grounder to third by Frazier to end the game and earn his 15th save of the season.
The Cubs left the bases loaded in the first inning, but were able to break through in the second with Jackson's leadoff blast to right field.
Cincinnati tied the game in the home second as Ludwick led off the frame by hammering a ball over the left-field wall.
The Cubs regained the lead in the fourth when Luis Valbuena worked a one-out walk, advanced to third on Redmond's throwing error on a dribbler by Joe Mather and came home on Anthony Rizzo's base hit through the right side of the infield.
Castro followed with a double into the left-field corner to plate Mather and knock Redmond out of the game.
Alfredo Simon came in next and Rizzo slid home safely on a fielder's choice to first base by LaHair before Steve Clevenger grounded into an inning-ending double play to keep it a 4-1 game.
Chicago added a run in the fifth when Adrian Cardenas singled and rounded the bases on Valbuena's two-out double to right-center.
The Reds got a run back in the bottom of the frame as Bruce hit a leadoff single, moved to second on Rolen's walk, advanced to third on a Devin Mesoraco fly out and crossed the plate on pinch-hitter Chris Heisey's single to left.
But the Cubs answered with three runs in the sixth after Castro slapped a triple to right field to score Rizzo, who reached on a fielding error by first baseman Frazier, and then came home on a LaHair single.
LaHair then stole second and crossed the plate on a Cardenas double to left- center field for an 8-2 advantage.
Saturday's doubleheader was due to a rainout on May 1 ... Jackson's homer was the first of his career ... Castro recorded his 10th three-hit game of the year ... It was Ludwick's fourth multi-homer game of the season.
- CHICAGO: 9
Aug 18 10:39 PM
- David DeJesus two-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Luis Valbuena due up.
Cubs 9, Reds 7 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 18 10:25 PM
- Drew Stubbs grounded out pitcher to first to end the inning.
Cubs 8, Reds 7 End 8Aug 18 10:19 PM
- Ryan Ludwick two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (25) to center scored Wilson Valdez. Todd Frazier due up.
Cubs 8, Reds 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 18 9:54 PM
- Devin Mesoraco grounded out third to first. Runners on second and third with two outs and Sam LeCure due up.
Cubs 8, Reds 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 18 9:40 PM
- Todd Frazier single to left scored Brandon Phillips with none out. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 8, Reds 3 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 18 9:32 PM
- Brandon Phillips doubled to left. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Cubs 8, Reds 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 18 9:27 PM
- Bryan LaHair single to right scored Starlin Castro with none out. Runner on first and Steve Clevenger due up.
Cubs 7, Reds 2 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 18 9:13 PM
- Starlin Castro triple to right scored Anthony Rizzo with none out. Runner on third and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 6, Reds 2 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 18 9:12 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chris Heisey single to left scored Jay Bruce with one out. On the play, Scott Rolen advances to second. Runners on first and second and Drew Stubbs due up.
Cubs 5, Reds 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 18 9:00 PM
- Luis Valbuena double to right scored Adrian Cardenas with two out. Runner on second and Joe Mather due up.
Cubs 5, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 8:46 PM
- Brooks Raley popped out to third in foul territory. Runner on first with two outs and Luis Valbuena due up.
Cubs 4, Reds 1 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 8:44 PM
- Starlin Castro double to left scored Joe Mather with one out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to third. Runners on second and third and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cubs 3, Reds 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 18 8:20 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to right scored Luis Valbuena with one out. On the play, Joe Mather advances to third. Runners on first and third and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 2, Reds 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 18 8:17 PM
- Todd Frazier flied out to center. None on with one out and Jay Bruce due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 18 7:45 PM
- Brett Jackson lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Adrian Cardenas due up.
Cubs 1, Reds 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 18 7:32 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 7:12 PM
- Arroyo shines as Reds rout Phillies 1:46a
- Feldman shines as Cubs rout Mets 7:47p
- Phils send red-hot Kendrick to hill to face Reds Sat
- Hefner eyes first win of season at Wrigley Sat
- Phils end Reds' six-game winning streak Fri
- Harvey pitches, hits Mets past Cubs Fri
- Cingrani, Lee square off in Philly Fri
- Harvey goes for Mets in Wrigley opener Fri
- Reds nip Marlins in extras Fri
- Latos draws the start for Reds against Marlins Thu
- Samardzija's arm, bat leads Cubs to series win Thu
- Choo hits 2 HRs, carries Reds over Marlins Thu