Stubbs lifts Reds over Cubs in extrasSep 20, 2012 - 5:50 AM
Facing Alberto Cabrera (0-1) with two outs, Brandon Phillips lifted a fly ball to right field, but the ball skipped off David DeJesus' glove and Phillips took second.
Stubbs followed with a line drive single to left field to score Phillips.
The Cubs had the bases loaded in the 10th, but couldn't get a run home. Starlin Castro singled then moved up to third on heads-up base running when Luis Valbuena dropped a fly ball in between three Reds fielders.
Following a Welington Castro strike out, Brett Jackson walked to load the bases, but Logan Ondrusek (5-2) got pinch-hitter Steve Clevenger to ground out to end the threat.
Jonathan Broxton retired the side in order in the bottom of the 11th to pick up his fourth save as a Red.
Stubbs finished 3-for-5 and scored three runs and Joey Votto went 2-for-4 with three RBI for the Reds, who were without manager Dusty Baker.
Prior to the game, Baker visited a Chicago-area hospital for chest X-rays to rule out pneumonia, according to a team spokesman.
"I guess the good thing is it's not pneumonia, but the bad thing is he's got an irregular heartbeat," Cincinnati trainer Paul Lessard said of Baker. "So basically they're going to keep him over at the hospital and run some more tests in the morning before he is set free."
Alfonso Soriano clubbed a two-run homer and Castro had four hits and drove in a run for Chicago, which has lost three in a row.
"We battled and battled back after being down, but we have to get a little better in situations of making contact and cutting our swings down in bigger situations," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said.
Trailing 5-4 in the eighth, the Cubs loaded the bases with two outs. J.J. Hoover then walked Castillo to force Darwin Barney home to tie the game.
Sam LeCure replaced Hoover and minimized the damage after striking out Jackson to end the frame.
The Reds jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first after Votto sliced an RBI double to left field. Soriano made a sliding attempt for the ball, but kicked it into the corner and Stubbs, who walked earlier, scored from first easily.
Cincinnati added three more runs in the third to go up 4-0. Three straight singles loaded the bases before Votto ripped a base hit to left field to score Cincinnati starter Mike Leake and Phillips. Ryan Ludwick followed with a single to left field, plating Stubbs.
Chicago finally got on the board in the fourth when Castro ripped a single to the second base-hole to score Anthony Rizzo. Votto moved to his right to field the sharp grounder, but couldn't corral it and it bounced into right field.
The Reds got the run back in the fifth after Stubbs singled, stole second then scored on Scott Rolen's base hit to right field.
The Cubs pulled within 5-4 in the sixth. Rizzo singled then scored on Soriano's towering homer to left field. Castro followed with a single then scored on Valbuena's double down the left-field line.
Leake allowed four runs on six hits and struck out one over six innings ... Rolen finished 2-for-4 with an RBI ... Chris Rusin started for the Cubs and was tagged for five runs on 10 hits over five frames.
- CINCINNATI: 6
Sep 20 12:16 AM
- Drew Stubbs single to left scored Brandon Phillips with two outs. Drew Stubbs advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 6, Cubs 5 Top 11, 2 OutsSep 20 12:00 AM
- Welington Castillo walked Darwin Barney scored on the play with two outs. Bases loaded and Brett Jackson due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsSep 19 10:54 PM
- Luis Valbuena double to left scored Starlin Castro with two outs. Runner on second and Welington Castillo due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 19 10:01 PM
- Alfonso Soriano two-out, two-run Home Run (30) to left scored Anthony Rizzo. Starlin Castro due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 3 Bot 6, 2 OutsSep 19 9:59 PM
- Scott Rolen single to right scored Drew Stubbs with two outs. On the play, Ryan Ludwick advances to second. Runners on first and second and Dioner Navarro due up.
Reds 5, Cubs 1 Top 5, 2 OutsSep 19 9:32 PM
- Starlin Castro single to first scored Anthony Rizzo with two outs. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Luis Valbuena due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsSep 19 9:17 PM
- Ryan Ludwick single to left scored Drew Stubbs with one out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 4, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 19 8:47 PM
- Joey Votto single to left scored Mike Leake and Brandon Phillips with one out. On the play, Drew Stubbs advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ryan Ludwick due up.
Reds 3, Cubs 0 Top 3, 1 OutSep 19 8:47 PM
- Ryan Ludwick lined into a double play, left to second. On the play, Joey Votto doubled off second to end the inning.
Reds 1, Cubs 0 Mid 1Sep 19 8:14 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Sep 19 8:08 PM
- Reds blank Mets 2:25a
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs 1:46a
- Cubs activate Garza from DL 5:35p
- Cubs claim Eduardo Sanchez off waivers 3:09p
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery 10:48a
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh 10:43a
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds activate Cueto from DL Mon
- Reds' Votto claims NL Player of the Week honor Mon
- Cueto returns from DL to face Mets Mon
- Murphy's homer lifts Mets over Cubs Sun