Wizards, Celtics clash in D.C.Jan 22, 2012 - 4:54 PM (Sports Network) - Washington's only two wins this season have come at home.
The Wizards hope that trend continues today versus the Boston Celtics at the Verizon Center. They will close out a five-game homestand Sunday and fell to 1-3 on the residency following a 108-104 loss to Denver on Friday.
Nick Young ended with a season-high 25 points and Jordan Crawford tallied 18 points and six rebounds for the Wizards, who are 2-7 at home and 2-13 overall this season. John Wall had 13 points, 10 assists and nine boards, as the Wizards failed to build off of an impressive win over Oklahoma City.
"We're competing at a good level but now we've got to close out games," Wizards head coach Flip Saunders said.
JaVale McGee scored 13 points, grabbed seven rebounds and blocked three shots in the loss to the Nuggets, while Chris Singleton scored a season-high tying 12 points. Wall is averaging 23.8 points, 8.8 assists and 7.8 rebounds per in his last four games. The Wizards are averaging 105.0 points and 20.1 assists per game in their last three games.
Boston has lost six of its last seven games and suffered a 79-71 loss to the Phoenix Suns Friday in the finale of a three-game homestand at TD Garden.
The Celtics, playing without point guard Rajon Rondo, registered a season-low in points and got a team-best 14 points from Ray Allen. Paul Pierce had 12 points and Brandon Bass finished with 11 for Boston.
"We have some great offensive prowess here on this side and it's frustrating when we can't put the ball in the hoop," said Allen.
Rondo suffered a sprained right wrist in Wednesday's win over the Raptors and is expected to miss Sunday's game. The Celtics are just 1-4 as the visitor this season and may not have guard Keyon Dooling either. Dooling is questionable with a balky knee.
Boston has defeated Washington twice already this season and has won 10 of the past 13 meetings between the teams. The Celtics have prevailed in four of their previous six trips to the nation's capital.
- BOSTON: 100
Jan 22 3:34 PM
- BOSTON: 73
End of 3rd
Jan 22 2:52 PM
- BOSTON: 49
Jan 22 2:13 PM
- BOSTON: 20
End of 1st
Jan 22 1:37 PM
- BOSTON: 0
1st Quarter - 12:00
Jan 22 1:12 PM
- Knicks avoid collapse, win first series since 2000 May 4
- Funeral on hold: Celtics hope to force Game 7 with Knicks May 3
- Garnett, Celts hold off Knicks May 1
- Knicks try for first playoff series win in 13 years May 1
- NBA veteran Collins tells SI he is gay Apr 29
- Celtics prevail in OT, force Game 5 in New York Apr 28
- Sweep revenge? Knicks try to close out Celtics in 4 Apr 28
- Knicks cruise past Celts, take 3-0 series lead Apr 26
- Boston back home to try to salvage series with Knicks Apr 26
- Celtics' Rivers fined Apr 25
- Backed by Anthony, Knicks grab 2-0 series lead Apr 24
- Celtics shoot to even series with Knicks in MSG Apr 23