Moser powers UNLV past WyomingMar 4, 2012 - 7:14 AM Las Vegas, NV (Sports Network) - Mike Moser recorded a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds as No. 17 UNLV defeated Wyoming 74-63 at Thomas & Mack Center on Saturday.
Brice Massamba netted 15, Kendall Wallace added 14, and Anthony Marshall chipped in 12 off the bench for the Runnin' Rebels (25-7, 9-5 Mountain West). UNLV avenged a 68-66 loss at Wyoming on Feb. 4 as it improved to 16-0 at T&M Arena.
"I thought defensively, we did a good job," remarked UNLV head coach Dave Rice. "It's always hard playing against Wyoming because of their discipline. They are deliberate on offense. Everyone saw how good of team Wyoming is tonight."
UNLV locked up the third seed in the Mountain West tournament and will play the rubber match in this series on Thursday as it faces Wyoming in the 3-6 matchup in the first round.
Wyoming (20-10, 6-8) was led by Francisco Cruz with 16 points and Luke Martinez with 15. Adam Waddell and Leonard Washington scored nine points a piece, as the Cowboys saw their two game winning streak come to an end.
Mike Moser made a three-pointer to push the UNLV lead to 26-15 just passed the midway point of the first half, but Wyoming answered with the next seven to cut the margin to four, which proved to be the halftime difference, as the Runnin' Rebels took a 36-32 lead into the break.
Leading by three, UNLV got a triple from Wallace, followed by a four-point play by Wallace after a Larry Nance Jr. turnover, to give the hosts a 57-47 lead with just under 11 minutes left in the game.
Wyoming pulled within five, 60-55, on a Martinez three, but Moser reeled off a 7-0 spurt by himself to reestablish a double-digit margin at 67-55 with under five minutes to play.
The Cowboys got as close as 10 late, but Wyoming was unable to cut the deficit to single digits as UNLV held on for the victory.
Both teams shot 38.9 percent (7-of-18) from three-point range...The teams also had an equal number of rebounds (24) and turnovers (18)...UNLV had 20 assists compared to just 11 from Wyoming.
- WYOMING: 63
Mar 4 12:07 AM
- WYOMING: 32
Mar 3 10:50 PM
- WYOMING: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 3 10:04 PM
- NBA Draft prospect Bennett out four months May 7
- UNLV's Bennett declares for NBA Draft Apr 1
- Crabbe, Cal edge UNLV in NCAA second round Mar 22
- East Region's second round pits Cal against UNLV Mar 20
- Snell pushes Lobos past UNLV for second straight MWC title Mar 16
- UNLV challenges New Mexico in Mountain West title tilt Mar 16
- New Mexico takes down Wyoming in MWC quarters Mar 14
- Cowboys, Lobos square off in MWC Tournament quarterfinals Mar 13
- No. 14 New Mexico handles slumping Wyoming Mar 2
- Pokes take aim at 14th-ranked Lobos Mar 2
- UNLV holds off No. 22 Colorado State Feb 21
- Rams butt heads with Runnin' Rebels in Mountain West showdown Feb 20