Northern Illinois tip-in tops Toledo, 60-58Mar 5, 2010 - 3:57 AM DeKALB, Ill.(AP) -- Xavier Silas scored 24 points, including the winning tip-in with 2 seconds remaining, and Northern Illinois defeated Toledo 60-58 Thursday night.
The Huskies (10-19, 6-10 Mid-American) overcame 33 percent shooting to win in their final home game of the season. Darion Anderson made just one of his 13 shots, but stole the ball from Toledo's Malcolm Griffin in the closing seconds. Anderson's missed shot was tipped in by Silas.
On Sunday, Northern Illinois will play at Eastern Michigan in the first round of the Mid-American Conference tournament while Toledo will play at either Buffalo or Miami (Ohio).
Jake Barnett, who scored 11 points, missed a shot at the buzzer for the Rockets (4-27, 1-15).
Sean Kowal added 12 points and led the Huskies with eight rebounds. Northern Illinois owned a 41-26 advantage on the boards.
Justin Anyijong had 14 points and 10 rebounds for Toledo.
- Northern Illinois held to 4 points in first half Jan 26
- NCAA bans Toledo hoops from postseason over grades Apr 18
- Mizzou gives Anderson 100th win with rout of Northern Illinois Dec 28
- Temple rolls over Toledo Nov 15
- McCamey, Illinois pound Toledo Nov 10
- C Kowal granted release by N. Illinois Aug 5
- Toledo hires Wisconsin-Green Bay's Kowalczyk Mar 30
- Toledo's Cross resigns after school's worst season Mar 11
- Eastern Michigan beats Northern Illinois 65-59 Mar 7
- Buffalo knocks off Toledo 72-54 Mar 7
- Toledo ends 19-loss streak, beats Ball State 45-42 Feb 27