Hampton beats Norfolk State 73-70 in MEAC tourneyMar 12, 2010 - 3:58 AM WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.(AP) -- Darrion Pellum scored 19 points to lead Hampton to a 73-70 victory over Norfolk State in the quarterfinals of the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference tournament on Thursday night.
Vincent Simpson added 18 points and four assists for the Pirates (14-17), who have won six games a row. Charles Funches chipped in with 11 points, nine rebounds, five assists and four steals off the bench.
Two free throws from Pellum gave the Pirates a 73-70 lead with 26 seconds left in the game. The Spartans (11-19) had a chance to tie, but Norfolk State shot 0-for-3 on their final possession, including missed 3-pointers from Kyle O'Quinn and Brandon Wheeless.
Michael Deloach led Norfolk State with 21 points and six assists. Rob Hampton added 20 points.
No. 5 seed Hampton will take on No. 1 seed Morgan State in a semifinal game on Friday.
- HAMPTON: 73
NORFOLK STATE: 70
Mar 11 10:18 PM
- HAMPTON: 40
NORFOLK STATE: 30
Mar 11 9:08 PM
- Evans leaving Norfolk State Apr 15
- Warren, Wolfpack roll past Spartans Dec 16
- Wolfpack set to pounce on visiting Spartans Dec 15
- Illinois remains undefeated, downs Norfolk State Dec 12
- 10th-ranked Illini set sights on Spartans Dec 11
- Norfolk State gives Evans three-year extension Jun 1
- Florida routs Norfolk State Mar 18
- Norfolk State hopes dream run continues in clash with Florida Mar 18
- 15th-seeded Norfolk State stuns Missouri Mar 16
- Norfolk State faces tall task in NCAA tourney tilt with Missouri Mar 16
- Norfolk State earns 1st NCAA tourney bid by besting Bethune-Cookman Mar 10
- MEAC title up for grabs in Winston-Salem Mar 10