Houston reaches conference final with 74-66 winMar 13, 2010 - 3:07 AM By JEFF LATZKE AP Sports Writer
TULSA, Okla.(AP) -- National scoring leader Aubrey Coleman had 27 points and Maurice McNeil had two critical offensive rebounds down the stretch as Houston held off Southern Miss 74-66 Friday night to advance to the Conference USA championship game.
McNeil was fouled after each of his rebounds on back-to-back possessions for the seventh-seeded Cougars (18-15) after Southern Miss cut a seven-point deficit to two in the final three minutes. He converted three of his four foul shots to give Houston just enough cushion to hold on.
Coleman, who averages 25.9 points, had a steal and five free throws in the final minute to clinch it for the Cougars.
Houston, the only team to defeat regular season champion UTEP during conference play, will face the top-seeded Miners again in the finals Saturday.
Gary Flowers led Southern Miss (20-13) with 24 points and 10 rebounds.
- HOUSTON: 74
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: 66
Mar 12 8:37 PM
- HOUSTON: 31
SOUTHERN MISSISSIPPI: 30
Mar 12 7:23 PM
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29
- Memphis outlasts Southern Miss for 3rd straight C-USA crown Mar 16
- C-USA crown on line in clash between Southern Miss and Memphis Mar 16
- No. 21 Memphis rolls past Southern Miss Feb 23
- Tigers put C-USA perfection on the line against Golden Eagles Feb 23
- No. 21 Memphis holds off Houston Feb 21
- Tigers continue run through C-USA against Cougars Feb 20
- Johnson, No. 8 Arizona down Southern Miss Dec 5
- Wildcats set to ground Golden Eagles Dec 4
- Tyndall named head coach at Southern Miss Apr 28
- Colorado State tabs Eustachy as coach Apr 12