Big second half lifts San Diego State past Miami-OhioNov 23, 2010 - 2:19 AM Oxford, OH (Sports Network) - D.J. Gay led all scorers with 19 points and Malcolm Thomas went for 16, as 18th-ranked San Diego State used a big second half to earn a 77-56 victory over Miami-Ohio at the CBE Classic.
James Rahon netted 15, while Kawhi Leonard added a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds for San Diego State (5-0), which began this tourney with a 79-70 comeback win over Green Bay on Saturday and followed it up with a 61-46 victory over IUPUI on Sunday.
Nick Winbush finished with a team-best 12 points for Miami-Ohio (2-3), which opened this event with a win over IUPUI on Saturday, but fell to Green Bay on Sunday. Chris McHenry and Allen Roberts each had nine points in defeat.
Miami-Ohio jumped out to an early 17-6 lead, but the Aztecs responded in a big way, going on a 25-2 run. Tim Shelton got things started with a three-pointer and after Rahon's basket ended the surge with just over five minutes left in the half, the Aztecs had a 31-19 advantage.
However, Roberts' three in the final seconds cut the RedHawks' deficit to five at 39-34 heading into the locker room.
After Miami-Ohio tied things at 39-all in the early stages of the second half, Gay started and finished a run of 25 straight points for the Aztecs, who essentially put the game away.
Antonio Ballard's layup tied it just over two minutes into the second half before Gay drained 1-of-2 at the stripe a short time later to put his squad back in front for good. He then capped the burst by hitting a three with 5:46 to play to give SDSU a commanding 64-39 lead.
The RedHawks were unable to get within single digits the rest of the way.
This was the first-ever meeting between the two teams on the hardwood...San Diego State finished 50 percent from the floor and made 7-of-16 from three- point range, while the RedHawks hit 36.7 percent of their shots.
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 77
MIAMI (OHIO): 56
Nov 22 8:57 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 39
MIAMI (OHIO): 34
Nov 22 7:54 PM
- SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
MIAMI (OHIO): 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 7:07 PM
- Former Miami-Ohio coach Coles dies Jun 7
- Former Tulane standout joins San Diego State May 16
- FGCU moves into Sweet 16 by stunning Aztecs Mar 25
- Upstart Eagles take on Aztecs in South Regional dust-up Mar 23
- Franklin leads SDSU past Oklahoma Mar 23
- Aztecs set sights on Sooners in NCAA Tournament tilt Mar 21
- New Mexico gets past SDSU and into MWC final Mar 16
- Aztecs, Lobos do battle in Mountain West semifinals Mar 15
- Kirk, New Mexico down SDSU Feb 28
- Aztecs battle Lobos in Mountain West showdown Feb 27
- Green helps No. 24 Colorado State sneak past San Diego State Feb 14
- Newly ranked Rams butt heads with Aztecs Feb 13