Kansas bounces back against GeorgetownNov 22, 2011 - 8:14 AM Maui, HI (Sports Network) - Thomas Robinson posted a double-double of 20 points and 12 rebounds to help the 14th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks beat the Georgetown Hoyas, 67-63, at the Maui Invitational.
Despite missing some time in the second half because of cramps, Tyshawn Taylor finished with 16 points for Kansas (2-1), which will play UCLA in Tuesday's semifinals.
Jason Clark scored 15 points to pace the Hoyas (2-1), who got 14 points from Hollis Thompson.
A floater off the glass fell in for Taylor, pushing Kansas' lead to 61-55 with 3 1/2 minutes remaining. Clark answered with a three-pointer, but Travis Releford converted a miss by Robinson to put the Jayhawks ahead by five at 63-58.
After the teams traded layups, Clark missed from beyond the arc. Otto Porter grabbed the offensive rebound and fed Clark, who wasn't off the mark a second time with 30.4 seconds remaining.
Georgetown allowed about 15 seconds to run off the clock before Clark fouled Releford. The junior guard made both free throws to put Kansas up 67-63. Clark then missed from long range, sealing the Hoyas' fate.
Kansas led by as many as nine points in the first half, but took a 37-35 lead into the break after Porter's trey beat the buzzer.
The Jayhawks won the 1996 Maui Invitational...Georgetown was 5-3 against ranked teams last season...Kansas shot 47 percent from the floor, while limiting the Hoyas to 40 percent shooting...The Jayhawks were coming off a loss to Kentucky last Tuesday.
- GEORGETOWN: 63
Nov 22 2:12 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 35
Nov 22 12:57 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 12:06 AM
- Kansas freshman Diallo cleared to play beginning Dec. 1 Thu
- Kansas officials sharply criticize NCAA over Diallo case Nov 23
- No. 4 Kansas suspends Greene for 6 games Nov 20
- No. 4 Kansas can't hold lead, falls to No. 13 Michigan State Nov 18
- Kansas still awaiting NCAA clearance on recruit Diallo Nov 11
- Georgetown Capsule Nov 4
- With Smith-Rivera back, Georgetown eyes better NCAA showing Nov 4
- No. 4 Kansas preparing for exhibition opener without Diallo Nov 3
- Experienced Jayhawks harboring national championship hopes Oct 28
- Kansas at a glance Oct 28
- Kansas still awaiting clearance for touted freshman Diallo Oct 1
- Kansas forward Dwight Coleby tears ACL in light team workout Sep 30