Kansas bounces back against GeorgetownNov 22, 2011 - 8:14 AM Maui, HI (Sports Network) - Thomas Robinson posted a double-double of 20 points and 12 rebounds to help the 14th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks beat the Georgetown Hoyas, 67-63, at the Maui Invitational.
Despite missing some time in the second half because of cramps, Tyshawn Taylor finished with 16 points for Kansas (2-1), which will play UCLA in Tuesday's semifinals.
Jason Clark scored 15 points to pace the Hoyas (2-1), who got 14 points from Hollis Thompson.
A floater off the glass fell in for Taylor, pushing Kansas' lead to 61-55 with 3 1/2 minutes remaining. Clark answered with a three-pointer, but Travis Releford converted a miss by Robinson to put the Jayhawks ahead by five at 63-58.
After the teams traded layups, Clark missed from beyond the arc. Otto Porter grabbed the offensive rebound and fed Clark, who wasn't off the mark a second time with 30.4 seconds remaining.
Georgetown allowed about 15 seconds to run off the clock before Clark fouled Releford. The junior guard made both free throws to put Kansas up 67-63. Clark then missed from long range, sealing the Hoyas' fate.
Kansas led by as many as nine points in the first half, but took a 37-35 lead into the break after Porter's trey beat the buzzer.
The Jayhawks won the 1996 Maui Invitational...Georgetown was 5-3 against ranked teams last season...Kansas shot 47 percent from the floor, while limiting the Hoyas to 40 percent shooting...The Jayhawks were coming off a loss to Kentucky last Tuesday.
- GEORGETOWN: 63
Nov 22 2:12 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 35
Nov 22 12:57 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 12:06 AM
- K-State topples No. 8 Kansas Tue
- Sunflower State showdown pits Jayhawks against Wildcats Mon
- Ellis, Jayhawks hold off TCU Feb 21
- Jayhawks host Horned Frogs in Big 12 brawl Feb 21
- West Virginia edges No. 8 Kansas in final seconds Feb 17
- Big 12 bout pits Jayhawks against Mountaineers Feb 16
- Ellis helps No. 8 Kansas rally past No. 16 Baylor Feb 14
- Top-25 showdown on tap in Big 12 Feb 14
- Kansas bounces back with win over Texas Tech Feb 10
- Red Raiders play host to eighth-ranked Jayhawks Feb 10
- Oklahoma State upends No. 8 Kansas Feb 7
- Villanova returns the favor, routs Georgetown Feb 7