Kansas bounces back against GeorgetownNov 22, 2011 - 8:14 AM Maui, HI (Sports Network) - Thomas Robinson posted a double-double of 20 points and 12 rebounds to help the 14th-ranked Kansas Jayhawks beat the Georgetown Hoyas, 67-63, at the Maui Invitational.
Despite missing some time in the second half because of cramps, Tyshawn Taylor finished with 16 points for Kansas (2-1), which will play UCLA in Tuesday's semifinals.
Jason Clark scored 15 points to pace the Hoyas (2-1), who got 14 points from Hollis Thompson.
A floater off the glass fell in for Taylor, pushing Kansas' lead to 61-55 with 3 1/2 minutes remaining. Clark answered with a three-pointer, but Travis Releford converted a miss by Robinson to put the Jayhawks ahead by five at 63-58.
After the teams traded layups, Clark missed from beyond the arc. Otto Porter grabbed the offensive rebound and fed Clark, who wasn't off the mark a second time with 30.4 seconds remaining.
Georgetown allowed about 15 seconds to run off the clock before Clark fouled Releford. The junior guard made both free throws to put Kansas up 67-63. Clark then missed from long range, sealing the Hoyas' fate.
Kansas led by as many as nine points in the first half, but took a 37-35 lead into the break after Porter's trey beat the buzzer.
The Jayhawks won the 1996 Maui Invitational...Georgetown was 5-3 against ranked teams last season...Kansas shot 47 percent from the floor, while limiting the Hoyas to 40 percent shooting...The Jayhawks were coming off a loss to Kentucky last Tuesday.
- GEORGETOWN: 63
Nov 22 2:12 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 35
Nov 22 12:57 AM
- GEORGETOWN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Nov 22 12:06 AM
- No. 9 Kansas holds off TCU Thu
- Frogs hope to leap past ninth-ranked Jayhawks Wed
- Davis, Xavier complete season sweep of Georgetown Tue
- Hoyas host Musketeers in Big East battle Tue
- Kansas tops Texas for key road win Jan 24
- Top-25 showdown headlines Big 12 action Jan 24
- Copeland, Smith-Rivera both score 17 as Georgetown upsets 'Nova Jan 20
- Kansas downs Oklahoma in ranked Big 12 clash Jan 20
- Oklahoma and Kansas do battle in pivotal Big 12 bout Jan 19
- Big East brawl pits Wildcats against Hoyas Jan 19
- Iowa State sends Kansas to first Big 12 loss Jan 18
- Big 12 powers collide in Top-25 fray Jan 17