Scott helps Virginia take down Boston CollegeJan 27, 2012 - 5:50 AM Virginia.
Mike Scott scored 18 points, helping No. 19 Virginia already match its win total from last season with a 66-49 victory over Boston College.
Sammy Zeglinski nailed back-to-back three-pointers to put the game away during a 22-3 run down the stretch for the Cavaliers (16-3, 3-2 ACC), who bounced back after losing their first home game of the season to in-state rival Virginia Tech on Sunday.
"We took the shots that were there and they went in more frequently tonight," said Bennett. "You have to be able to do that. They were really condensing their defense against us."
Ryan Anderson had 12 points and 10 rebounds for Boston College (7-13, 2-4), which has lost three straight.
Danny Rubin capped an 8-0 run for BC with a three-pointer to tie the game at 44 midway through the second half.
Using its stifling defense, Virginia pulled away from the Eagles down the stretch.
While the Eagles were in the midst of a 5:47 field-goal drought, Virginia went on a 22-3 run.
Zeglinski's back-to-back treys made it 60-47 with 2:27 left and Akil Mitchell's dunk with 44 seconds remaining capped the surge as Virginia had a commanding 66-47 lead.
Anderson's jumper with 21 seconds to go finally snapped the Eagles' field-goal drought.
"We had open looks and we dropped some balls," said BC coach Steve Donahue. "For a young group going against that defense, I was pretty pleased."
With BC holding a 15-14 lead, the Cavaliers outscored the Eagles 17-8 over the final 9:37 of the opening stanza.
Scott had eight points during the stretch and Joe Harris nailed a three- pointer from the right corner with 11 seconds remaining to give Virginia a 31-23 halftime advantage.
Virginia went 16-15 last season...BC managed just one field goal during a 10 minute stretch during Virginia's surge...Virginia holds an 8-6 advantage in the series, but are losers in five of the last seven meetings...Only two teams have surpassed the 60-point mark against Virginia this season...Mitchell had 10 points and five rebounds...BC shot 40 percent while UVA was 50.9 percent from the floor...The Cavaliers turned the ball over just eight times.
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 49
Jan 26 10:49 PM
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 23
Jan 26 9:47 PM
- BOSTON COLLEGE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 26 9:06 PM
- Virginia downs Cleveland State, moves to 10-0 10:20p
- No. 6 Virginia gets back to work against Cleveland State Thu
- Virginia uses late run to down VCU Dec 7
- Cavs and Rams collide in Old Dominion State showdown Dec 6
- Virginia cruises against former ACC rival Maryland Dec 4
- Top-25 showdown on tap in ACC/Big Ten Challenge Dec 3
- No. 8 Virginia tops Rutgers in low-scoring affair Nov 30
- Cavs take on Scarlet Knights in Barclays Center Classic Nov 29
- Brogdon and Virginia down La Salle Nov 29
- Explorers seek upset of eighth-ranked Cavaliers Nov 28
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25