No. 9 Baylor handles Iowa StateFeb 14, 2012 - 4:04 AM Waco, TX (Sports Network) - Perry Jones III netted a game-high 18 points and pulled down seven rebounds as No. 9 Baylor handled Iowa State, 79-64, on Monday.
Quincy Miller finished with 16 points and six assists, while Anthony Jones had 12 points for Baylor (22-4, 9-4 Big 12), which snapped a two-game losing streak. Quincy Acy contributed 11 points and five rebounds in the victory.
"No matter what you do in life, after you struggle, everyone's going to face adversity, it's really how you get up from it," Baylor head coach Scott Drew said of his team's ability to bounce back. "We've had outstanding leadership this entire year, and I thought they did a great job getting us ready to play today. I thought the guys really responded and played well."
Melvin Ejim led the Cyclones (18-8, 8-5) with 17 points and 7 rebounds, while Royce White had 14 points and five rebounds. Iowa State had won four of five and was coming off a 69-46 victory over Texas A&M on Saturday.
Baylor got off to a hot start with a 7-0 run to begin the game, but Iowa state scored seven of the next nine points to cut the deficit to 9-7 with just under five minutes gone in the first half.
The Bears then went on an 11-2 burst to take a comfortable 20-9 advantage with 10 1/2 minutes to go in the half.
The Cyclones responded with a 12-4 run of their own to get within 24-21, but Baylor took a 31-24 lead into the locker room at the break.
Brady Heslip opened the second half with a trey to put the Bears up 34-24, but Iowa State stayed within striking distance and a three by Ejim pulled the Cyclones to within five, 42-37, with 14:39 to play in regulation.
Jones sank a layup to push the lead back to 10 with under 10 minutes to play, and Baylor began to pull away from there.
The Bears used a 18-9 push to get out to a 15-point lead -- matching their largest of the night -- with 3:20 to play and they led by double-digits the rest of the way.
"It's hard to defend Baylor when their shots are on," Iowa State head coach Fred Hoiberg said. "We gave up too many buckets when they were comfortable."
Despite the loss, Iowa State leads the all-time series 12-9...Baylor shot 60 percent from the floor and 6-of-14 from beyond the arc, while Iowa State shot 44 percent from the field and just 8-of-26 from three-point range...Heslip and Pierre Jackson donated eight points for Baylor, while Percy Gibson and Chris Babb had nine apiece for the Cyclones...Iowa State got the better of the play on the glass, outrebounding Baylor, 30-26, but Baylor outworked the Cyclones inside, scoring 44 points in the paint to 36 for Iowa State.
- IOWA STATE: 64
Feb 13 8:49 PM
- IOWA STATE: 24
Feb 13 7:44 PM
- IOWA STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 13 7:04 PM
- Iowa State suspends Jameel McKay for violating team rules Feb 6
- Iowa State's McKay struggles through knee issues Feb 4
- No. 14 West Virginia beat No. 13 Iowa State 81-76 Feb 3
- Prohm loses to mentor, No. 14 Iowa St falls to No. 5 Aggies Jan 30
- Tim Meadows impersonates Ben Carson at Iowa State game Jan 25
- Injury to teammate thrusts Burton into spotlight for Iowa St Dec 18
- No. 5 Iowa State loses Mitrou-Long for season Dec 15
- Newspaper columnist injured when Iowa St fans storm court Dec 11
- Unheralded forward Nader emerges for No. 7 Iowa State Nov 19
- Iowa State's Steve Prohm turns to Georges Niang for advice Nov 6
- Iowa State seeking Big 12 title and more in '15-16 Oct 28
- Iowa State at a glance Oct 28