Racers close out regular season with win over Tennessee TechFeb 26, 2012 - 5:36 AM Murray State to a 69-64 win over Tennessee Tech.
The Racers (28-1, 15-1 OVC), who had already clinched the outright conference title for the third straight year, closed the regular season with five straight wins since their only loss to Tennessee State on February 9. They became the only team in program history to finish the season without a road loss (13-0).
Kevin Murphy paced the Golden Eagles (18-12, 9-7) with 26 points while Jud Dillard added 12 points and nine rebounds. Despite the loss, Tennessee Tech finished the season with the conference's No. 4 seed and earned a first-round bye in the upcoming OVC Tournament.
Tennessee Tech was up 34-30 at the break and opened the second half with a 7-1 burst. Bassey Inameti and Dillard made jumpers during the run and Murphy hit a three-pointer, as the Golden Eagles took a 41-31 lead.
The Racers were down 48-42 when they scored 11 straight to go ahead. Donte Poole started the surge with a pair of free throws and Zay Jackson buried a jumper for a 53-48 advantage near the midway point.
The teams continued to trade runs down the stretch.
Tennessee Tech was up 60-59 with just over five minutes to play when Murray State reeled off six straight behind two free throws from Canaan and four from Jackson.
The Golden Eagles responded with four in a row, as Terrell Barnes scored on a tip-in and Dillard followed with a slam to make it 65-64 with a minute to go.
On the other end, Jewuan Long grabbed a rebound off a Poole miss and hit a jumper for a 67-64 Racers lead. Zach Bailey then grabbed an offensive rebound off of Murphy's miss, but he turned the ball over and Ed Daniel and Latreze Mushatt both made 1-of-2 free throws to seal the win.
The Racers outscored the Golden Eagles 18-4 at the free throw line...Murray State took both meetings between the teams this season, also winning on January 14, 82-74...The Racers became the fourth team in program history to finish with only one OVC loss, joining the 1987-88, 1993-94 and 2009-10 squads.
- MURRAY STATE: 69
TENNESSEE TECH: 64
Feb 25 10:36 PM
- MURRAY STATE: 30
TENNESSEE TECH: 34
Feb 25 9:33 PM
- MURRAY STATE: 0
TENNESSEE TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 25 8:48 PM
- Belmont punches ticket to NCAA Tourney with OT win Mar 10
- Racers and Bruins collide in OVC Title Game Mar 9
- Tennessee Tech no match for No. 24 Oklahoma State Dec 22
- Pokes put perfect home mark on line against Golden Eagles Dec 22
- Murray State suspends Zay Jackson Sep 10
- Murray State gives Prohm 1-year extension Mar 26
- Marquette rallies past Racers, gains Sweet 16 spot Mar 18
- West Regional matchup pits Racers against Golden Eagles Mar 17
- Murray State races past Colorado State Mar 15
- Racers begin anticipated tourney run against Rams Mar 15
- Murray State wins OVC title Mar 3
- Tigers and Racers battle for OVC Tournament title Mar 3