Franklin, San Diego State top Colorado StateFeb 26, 2012 - 7:25 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Jamaal Franklin had game-highs of 31 points and 16 rebounds, as No. 24 San Diego State downed Colorado State, 74-66, on Saturday.
Xavier Thames added 15 points for the Aztecs (22-6, 8-4 MVC), who have won two in a row after a three-game slide. They find themselves in a three-way tie with UNLV and New Mexico atop the conference standings.
"He made big time play after big time play," Aztecs coach Steve Fisher said of Franklin. "He was very effective. Jamaal was as good as he has been in his career tonight."
Dorian Green and Wes Eikmeier had 14 points apiece to pace the Rams (17-10, 6-6), who saw their two-game win streak come to an end.
The Rams led for the majority of the first half.
Back-to-back three-pointers from Eikmeier and Kaipo Sabas staked them to a 21-12 advantage near the midway point. Franklin responded with eight straight to make it 21-20, but Colorado State was able to hang on for a 34-30 lead at the break.
San Diego State tied it early in the second half, using consecutive buckets from Franklin and Thames to make it 36-36 and trigger a close finish.
The Rams were up 52-51 with just under eight minutes to play when Thames and Chase Tapley combined for seven straight to give the Aztecs a lead they would not relinquish.
Green answered with a free throw before Eikmeier made a pair from the foul line and hit a jumper to pull Colorado State within one, 58-57, but another San Diego State surge, highlighted by seven points from Franklin and capped by a jumper from Thames made it 67-59, sealing the San Diego State win with under two minutes to play.
"We tried to mix in some man and zone, but at the end of the day, I thought they made great plays," Colorado State coach Tim Miles said of his opponent.
Colorado State shot just 36.7 percent in the second half, compared to 44.8 percent for San Diego State...The Rams lead the all-time series, 36-32 but have not defeated the Aztecs as the visitor since the 2002-03 campaign.
- COLORADO STATE: 66
SAN DIEGO STATE: 74
Feb 25 11:53 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 34
SAN DIEGO STATE: 30
Feb 25 10:42 PM
- COLORADO STATE: 0
SAN DIEGO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 25 10:04 PM
- Hagins scores 14 as Little Rock stuns San Diego St. 49-43 Sat
- Cheatham brings 'good energy' to Fisher's Aztecs Nov 4
- It's now Steve Fisher Court at San Diego State Oct 29
- Duke crushes San Diego State to reach Sweet 16 Mar 22
- Blue Devils battle Aztecs in South Regional action Mar 22
- San Diego State holds off St. John's to advance Mar 21
- Red Storm tangle with Aztecs in South Region Mar 20
- Wyoming tops San Diego State for MWC title Mar 15
- Cowboys and Aztecs battle for MWC crown Mar 14
- Broncos down Aztecs in MWC battle Mar 1
- Broncos and Aztecs do battle in MWC fracas Feb 28
- San Diego State tops No. 25 Wyoming Jan 15