Louisville advances to Sweet 16Mar 23, 2011 - 4:40 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Shoni Schimmel scored a career-high 33 points to lead the seventh-seeded Louisville Cardinals past the second-seeded Xavier Musketeers, 85-75, in a second round NCAA Tournament matchup from the Cintas Center.
Monique Reed scored 13 points for the Cardinals (22-12), who advanced to play Gonzaga, while Tia Gibbs had 12 points, six assists and seven steals, and Charmaine Tay and Becky Burke added 11 and 10 points, respectively.
Xavier (29-3) was led by Amber Harris' 20 points, while Tyeasha Moss contributed 17 points and six assists, Katie Rutan had 15 points and Ta'Shia Phillips finished with 11 points and eight boards.
Despite shooting 53.6 percent from the field over the first 20 minutes of play, Louisville found itself trailing 40-37 at the break.
The Cardinals reeled off 48 second half points, however, powered by an 18- of-22 performance from the charity stripe and 4-of-8 shooting from three-point range.
In all, Lousiville outscored Xavier 20-7 from the foul line.
- LOUISVILLE: 85
Mar 22 9:08 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 37
Mar 22 7:54 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 22 7:12 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Louisville rallies in second half to reach title game Apr 7
- Fifth-seeded Louisville downs Lady Vols to earn Final Four berth Apr 2
- Louisville stuns Baylor, ends Griner's college career Mar 31
- Louisville downs Purdue, earns spot in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Louisville defends home floor to advance Mar 24
- Notre Dame gets past Louisville and into Big East final Mar 11
- Smith guides Louisville over DePaul Feb 17
- Notre Dame has little trouble cruising past Louisville Feb 11
- UConn posts another win over Louisville Jan 16
- Colorado upends No. 8 Louisville to remain unbeaten Dec 14