Second-seeded Terps edge Louisville to advance to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 3:40 AM College Park, MD (Sports Network) - Laurin Mincy scored a game-high 24 points to lead the second-seeded Maryland Terrapins to a 72-68 victory over the seventh-seeded Louisville Lady Cardinals in the second round of the 2012 NCAA Women's Tournament at the Comcast Center.
Tianna Hawkins contributed a double-double of 15 points and 14 rebounds for Maryland (30-4), which won its ninth game in a row.
Shoni Schimmel led Louisville (23-10) with 22 points and nine assists. Shawnta' Dyer chipped in 17 points and Bria Smith netted 12 points for the Lady Cardinals.
The Terps took a narrow 31-29 lead into halftime after they shot 41.4 percent from the floor in the opening period. Louisville went into the intermission trailing after it went 4-of-8 from the charity stripe in the first half.
The Lady Cardinals had the ball trailing 71-68 in the final seconds, but Mincy's defense caused Becky Burke's potential game-tying three-point attempt to fall short.
Louisville made only 3-of-19 from beyond the arc in the contest. Maryland held a 41-35 advantage in the rebounding battle.
The Terps advance to the Sweet 16 to face Texas A&M.
- LOUISVILLE: 68
Mar 19 9:12 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 29
Mar 19 8:01 PM
- LOUISVILLE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 7:11 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Louisville rallies in second half to reach title game Apr 7
- Fifth-seeded Louisville downs Lady Vols to earn Final Four berth Apr 2
- Louisville stuns Baylor, ends Griner's college career Mar 31
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Louisville downs Purdue, earns spot in Sweet 16 Mar 26
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Louisville defends home floor to advance Mar 24
- Fourth-seed Maryland rolls over 13th-seed Quinnipiac Mar 23
- Notre Dame gets past Louisville and into Big East final Mar 11
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9