Kentucky fends off furious Green Bay rally to move onMar 20, 2012 - 4:37 AM Ames, IA (Sports Network) - Samarie Walker finished with 15 points and 13 rebounds as the second-seeded Kentucky Wildcats survived a second-half push by the seventh-seeded Green Bay Phoenix to win 65-62 in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at James H. Hilton Coliseum.
Keyla Snowden scored 13 points for Kentucky (27-6), while Kastine Evans and A'dia Mathies netted 10 apiece.
For Green Bay (31-2), Sarah Eichler and Julie Wojta poured in 16 points each. Wojta also added 10 steals for the Phoenix.
Kentucky opened up the game on a 21-6 run, and it finished the first half with a convincing 42-25 advantage.
The game seemed well in-hand after a Kastine Evans three-pointer put the Wildcats up 49-33 with 12:44 left in the game. The Phoenix would not go quietly however, as they went on an amazing 29-12 run to take a 62-61 advantage with 1:57 to play. After a few empty possessions on both ends, a Snowden jumper with 16 seconds left gave Kentucky a 63-62 lead. Green Bay could not answer on its next possession, and Snowden hit two foul shots with five seconds to go to give the Wildcats a three-point lead. One last three- point attempt by Green Bay did not fall, and Kentucky escaped with the win.
Kentucky was sloppy with the ball in the win, turning the ball over an astronomical 34 times.
The Wildcats advance to play 11th-seeded Gonzaga in the Sweet 16.
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 62
Mar 19 11:55 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 25
Mar 19 10:39 PM
- WISCONSIN-GREEN BAY: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 19 9:47 PM
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Kentucky holds off the Delle Donne led Blue Hens Mar 30
- Mathies bounces back as Kentucky thumps Dayton Mar 26
- Lady Tigers escape first-round scare Mar 24
- Kentucky rallies past Navy in second half Mar 24
- Texas A&M edges Kentucky for first SEC title Mar 10
- Kentucky cruises past Georgia in SEC semifinals Mar 9
- No. 7 Kentucky downs Vanderbilt in SEC quarters Mar 8
- Mathies and O'Neill help Kentucky edge Tennessee Mar 3
- Mitchell ties school record as No. 10 Kentucky stomps Ole Miss Mar 1
- LSU knocks off No. 8 Kentucky Feb 24
- Stallworth, No. 8 Kentucky down No. 10 Texas A&M Feb 18