St. Joe's upsets George Washington, advances to A-10 finalsMar 4, 2007 - 10:02 PM CINCINNATI, Ohio (Ticker) -- After 19 straight victories, No. 9 George Washington fell to Saint Joseph's in the Atlantic-10 Conference semifinals.
Whitney Ffrench scored 14 points and grabbed six rebounds to lead the Hawks to a 57-55 come-from-behind upset over the Colonials.
George Washington (26-3) led, 31-19, at the half, but shot just 29 percent (8-of-28) after the break. St. Joseph's trailed by 13 points with 5:17 remaining, but went on a 21-4 run over the next five-plus minutes.
Kimberly Beck hit a 3-pointer with 10 seconds left for the Colonials to close the gap to one at 56-55. Timisha Gomez then made 1-of-2 free throws for the Hawks, giving them a two-point edge with five ticks to go.
George Washington was unable to capitalize on a last-second chance as Kenan Cole missed a layup.
Ayahna Cornish had 12 points and Jenna Loschiavo added nine for St. Joseph's (19-12), which became the first A-10 team to defeat George Washington this season.
Jessica Adair had 15 points and 10 rebounds for the Colonials, who shot 37 percent (17-of-47) from the field.
Beck had 15 points and Sarah-Jo Lawrence added 11 with eight rebounds for George Washington, which outrebounded St. Joe's, 41-33, and shot 36 percent (21-of-59).
- Clarke leads Vanderbilt over St. Joseph's Mar 23
- No. 8 Cal cruises past George Washington Dec 29
- GW hires Tsipis as women's hoops coach Apr 6
- Strong second half powers Xavier past St. Joe's Mar 5
- No. 6 Xavier dominates George Washington Feb 23
- No. 8 Xavier downs St. Joseph's Jan 12
- No. 6 Xavier beats Saint Joseph's 63-56 Feb 10
- Harris' 18 and Phillips' 16 lead No. 7 Xavier Feb 3
- No. 6 Tennessee beats George Washington 93-53 Dec 1
- George Washington 47, Michigan St. 78 Nov 27
- Thomas keys huge run to lift Michigan State Nov 27
- Tuomi helps Vanderbilt stay unbeaten Nov 24