Late three-pointer lifts Georgia Tech over UNCJan 7, 2011 - 3:35 AM Atlanta, GA (Sports Network) - Metra Walthour's three-pointer with 25 seconds to play lifted Georgia Tech to a 71-70 victory over eighth-ranked North Carolina in the ACC opener for both teams.
Walthour ended with 12 points while Tyaunna Marshall led all scorers with 24 points for streaking Georgia Tech (13-4, 1-0 ACC), which has won 10 straight games and in the process handed the Tar Heels their first loss of the season. Alex Montgomery posted 13 points with 9 rebounds and Sasha Goodlett added 11 points in the win.
Italee Lucas netted 21 points for North Carolina (14-1, 0-1), which held a seven-point lead with 90 seconds remaining but failed to hold on. Jessica Breland ended with 15 points and Waltiea Rolle scored 12 in the losing effort.
With just over a minute to go, a three-pointer by Marshall brought Georgia Tech within four, 70-66, and Deja Foster's layup soon after cut the Yellow Jackets' deficit to two. A UNC turnover led to Walthour's winning triple before the Tar Heels missed a pair of jumper attempts in the final seconds.
- NORTH CAROLINA: 70
GEORGIA TECH: 71
Jan 6 9:08 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 34
GEORGIA TECH: 33
Jan 6 7:59 PM
- NORTH CAROLINA: 0
GEORGIA TECH: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 6 7:06 PM
- UNC coach Hatchell diagnosed with leukemia Oct 14
- Delle Donne shines as Blue Hens head for uncharted territory Mar 26
- North Carolina survives scare from Albany Mar 24
- Duke routs UNC in ACC title game Mar 10
- No. 15 UNC storms back to down No. 10 Maryland in ACC semis Mar 9
- No. 5 Duke overcomes 15th-ranked UNC Mar 3
- Duke beats North Carolina to deny Hatchell 900th career win Feb 3
- Hawkins helps Terps trounce Tar Heels Jan 24
- Terps use balanced attack to top Georgia Tech Jan 20
- Tar Heels hold on to top No. 8 Maryland Jan 3
- No. 4 Duke crushes Georgia Tech Dec 6
- Hassell, Lady Bulldogs hold off Yellow Jackets Dec 2