Buckeyes halt Michigan State's winning streakJan 16, 2011 - 8:13 PM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Jantel Lavender led all scorers with 24 points and grabbed eight rebounds, as No. 24 Ohio State snapped Michigan State's 14- game winning streak by defeating the ninth-ranked Spartans 67-53 in Big Ten action.
Tayler Hill chipped in 17 points and Brittany Johnson scored 10 for Ohio State (11-6, 2-3 Big Ten), which halted a brief two-game slide.
The Buckeyes held a 33-29 advantage at the intermission, as Lavender scored 14 points in the opening 20 minutes.
In the second half, Johnson's three-pointer put OSU ahead 39-29 nearly three minutes in and the advantage would swell to 16, 51-35, with just under 11 minutes to play. MSU never threatened the rest of the way.
Cetera Washington had a team-high 12 points to go with nine boards for Michigan State (16-2, 4-1), which lost for the first time since a 78-52 setback at Baylor on November 19. LyKendra Johnson had nine points, nine rebounds and five steals in defeat.
- MICHIGAN STATE: 53
OHIO STATE: 67
Jan 16 1:50 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 29
OHIO STATE: 33
Jan 16 12:45 PM
- MICHIGAN STATE: 0
OHIO STATE: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Jan 16 12:02 PM
- Ohio State names McGuff women's hoops coach Apr 16
- Terps tackle Michigan State in second round Mar 25
- Spartans deny upset-minded Red Foxes Mar 23
- Foster out as women's hoops coach at Ohio State Mar 20
- Spartans upend Penn State to advance to Big Ten final Mar 9
- No. 8 Lady Lions best Buckeyes in Big Ten quarters Mar 9
- Penn State overcomes slow start to down Michigan State Feb 10
- No. 8 Penn State dominates Ohio State in second half Jan 27
- Lady Lions cruise past Spartans Jan 6
- Gators gain win over OSU in NCAA Tournament Mar 18
- Strong first half helps Lady Cardinals soar past Michigan State Mar 17
- No. 23 Nebraska upsets No. 8 Ohio State Feb 26