Moore leads Huskies over WVUFeb 9, 2011 - 2:41 AM Morgantown, WV (Sports Network) - Maya Moore posted 27 points to lead No. 2 Connecticut to a 57-51 win over 17th-ranked West Virginia at WVU Coliseum.
Stefanie Dolson tallied 10 points and nine rebounds for the Huskies (23-1, 11-0 Big East), who have won 11 straight since losing to Stanford on December 30.
Madina Ali totaled 17 points and eight rebounds for West Virginia (20-5, 6-5), which has dropped four of its last five games. Liz Repella netted 13 points in the loss. The Mountaineers won the battle on the glass, 37-29, though shot just 30 percent.
West Virginia led by two, 29-27, at the conclusion of the opening 20 minutes. But near the midpoint of the second half, the Huskies began to take control. Moore's jumper with 12 minutes left broke a tie, and began an 11-3 run that increased the Huskies' advantage to 47-39 with 6:15 remaining.
WVU was within six, 55-49, after two Ali free throws with just over a minute to go, but Bria Hartley answered with a field goal at the other end, giving UConn an eight-point lead and essentially sealing the victory.
- CONNECTICUT: 57
WEST VIRGINIA: 51
Feb 8 8:59 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 27
WEST VIRGINIA: 29
Feb 8 7:49 PM
- CONNECTICUT: 0
WEST VIRGINIA: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Feb 8 7:07 PM
- Connecticut wins 8th title in rout of Louisville Apr 10
- Cardinals, Huskies battle for NCAA title Apr 9
- Fourth Time's The Charm: UConn downs Notre Dame to reach title game Apr 8
- UConn cruises to sixth straight Final Four Apr 1
- Stewart shines as UConn coasts past Maryland Mar 30
- Auriemma inks five-year extension with UConn Mar 27
- UConn cruises against Commodores in Storrs Mar 25
- Delle Donne sets milestone, Blue Hens advance Mar 24
- Top-seed UConn moves on with rout of Idaho Mar 23
- Notre Dame edges UConn for first Big East Tournament title Mar 12
- No. 3 UConn beats Syracuse for spot in Big East final Mar 11
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10